Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Total regen capacity capped

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the last year or so, my 2019 3 SR+ has had it's total possible regen battery charging capacity to charge capped at about 60%, even if I only charge to 70% on a 70 degree day. This "walling off" of 40% of the charging capacity is conveyed visually by dotted lines reaching all the way to the right of the "D" that never become solid and is also felt by further coasting than I used to experience. I've brought this to Service's attention a couple of times but have been told that it is normal. Are others experiencing the same even in warm temperatures with battery capacity?

For the last year or so, my 2019 3 SR+ has had it's total possible regen battery charging capacity to charge capped at about 60%, even if I only charge to 70% on a 70 degree day. This "walling off" of 40% of the charging capacity is conveyed visually by dotted lines reaching all the way to the right of the "D" that never become solid and is also felt by further coasting than I used to experience. I've brought this to Service's attention a couple of times but have been told that it is normal. Are others experiencing the same even in warm temperatures with battery capacity?
This happened to me after I drove my 2018 AWD M3 into a large pothole. The right side of the car fell into the hole, and there was a loud bang-like noise from below. It was so loud that I knew something likely went wrong. In this case, I believe my battery was impacted by the force.

I used to get no dotted lines (>= 71 kW max regen) at 80% SoC. About two days after the incident and on the same firmware, I no longer get that level of regen unless my battery is under 60% SoC, or if the battery is super warm (~27 deg C) from driving or charging for a long time.

I got the same rundown as you and was told that everything was "within spec" and normal. Service told me it's likely due to the weather or the firmware. My car does not present any BMS error codes, so I don't think they're willing to do anything. If there's an issue with the HV battery, they simply replace it. They don't repair it. So unless it's serious like not having regen at all, they're likely going to use their famous line of saying "it's within spec."

I have read from others that the SR tends to be more regen-limited than the AWD models. Part of this is the battery capacity, chemistry, and the number of motors.

If you're really interested in getting more context about what's going on with your regen, then I'd recommend setting up ScanMyTesla. Before I had information about the battery cell temperature, I could only go off the ambient temperature, which does not translate to how cold or warm your battery is. The maximum regen and charge current appear to be influenced by various factors, including the state of charge (SoC), battery cell temperature, and recent utilization of regenerative braking.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood