Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touchless and trade in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It went well, arrived and there was a desk out front, key card and paperwork that needs to be signed was in the car, additional paperwork at that desk if needed. You get to inspect the car as long as you want and once the papers are signed you head right over to the desk and hand over The papers and the keys to your trade in and pink slip, there’s other DMV papers you need to sign to release the trade in, that’s it, then you point out the problems you may have found with the car, hopefully they take it the back to do the repairs or correct the problems and then you drive off with it.

Very bad QC from the factory, pretty embarrassing how they are able to release some of these cars to the delivery centers, the guy that was next to me with a white model Y was there for his 2nd model Y as the refused to take that First one due to a lot of issues and that was 1 week prior, this one had that plastic rocker panel bulging outward on the right side and they were able to push it back in and fix it for him.

Got to give Carlsbad California props for taking care of their customers.

My car had minor issues and they were nice enough to take it to the back to correct those issues for us.

Fred

Touchless was great this last Saturday in Florida. I was gloved and masked, he was masked. He placed the paperwork on a desk, stood back, and let the docs be signed. I inspected the vehicle, then he gave me the key cards. I kept my plate from my trade-in, so he physically moved the plate for me. Once I transferred everything, I dropped off the keys and the check (down payment) and off we went. Overall, really pleased with the process.

Touchless was great this last Saturday in Florida. I was gloved and masked, he was masked. He placed the paperwork on a desk, stood back, and let the docs be signed. I inspected the vehicle, then he gave me the key cards. I kept my plate from my trade-in, so he physically moved the plate for me. Once I transferred everything, I dropped off the keys and the check (down payment) and off we went. Overall, really pleased with the process.
did they accept a personal check, or did you have to get certified funds for the down payment?

Thank you all! If I plan to keep my current plates, I don’t need to remove the. From my old car and Tesla will do it for me on the delivery date? Also, what need to be bought with the trade-in car on the delivery date? Just the title document and one key?

My delivery Saturday was perfect. The only glitch was with the MA registry as they couldn’t transfer my pates. Dedham MA was awesome. They were swamped and got me in and out in good time. Got my car registered and new plates with no issues. Dedham has been amazing for both sales and service for the year and a half that I’ve had my 2 Tesla Model 3s. Can’t say enough good things about them.

Just a personal check (which was THOUSANDS of dollars worth). Actually, we remembered right before we drove away that we needed to give them a check. They're really relaxed about it. I assume it's because they know where you live...

Did doing a trade in delay in the delivery? My friend and I put our orders in 3 days apart and he delivered while I'm sitting here waiting even though I'm doing a trade in.

My suggestion is to not do a trade-in with Tesla. They will rape you pretty hard and offer you 60% below the KBB trade-in value.

For example, they offered me $1500 for my 2008 BMW 550i. I listed it in a private ad and was able to sell it for $6400.

You have been warned!

My suggestion is to not do a trade-in with Tesla. They will rape you pretty hard and offer you 60% below the KBB trade-in value.

For example, they offered me $1500 for my 2008 BMW 550i. I listed it in a private ad and was able to sell it for $6400.

You have been warned!
For me, it wasn't bad for my 2018 Model S 75D. They actually quoted me $6000 more than what Carmax offered, plus it brought down the sales tax by another $3000 since the trade in value get taken out of the final price. I figured it would cause me a lot more trouble to sell it myself during Covid, and I doubt I can sell it $3k more than what Tesla offered me to make up for the tax difference.

FWIW I started to offer my trade in to Tesla, when I read in this forum of Carmax vs Carvanna etc. I just sold my DD to Carvanna a few hours ago for almost 10% above of what KBB trade in range was. ‘13 Toyota Avalon w/ below average miles.

Painless process from beginning to end.

• Informative
Reactions: Zer0t
I drove my trade-in to NJ to do the pickup. It was nice just to get out of the house for a while.
Given all of the problems I had heard, I fully expected to drive my trade-in back after rejecting the car.
The car was in great shape and I decided to accept it. The trade-in offer was low but since it was a 2010, I decided that I needed to have something to drive in case the Y was rejected. I did have the choice to get it delivered, but decided against that.
The touchless went great. We chatted on the phone a few times. The paperwork I needed to sign was in the Y with post-it arrows.
Everything went though a drop box. They even came out with a screwdriver, which I had forgotten and took off my old plates for me and placed them in the back of the Y. I transferred everything over and off I went. My biggest qualm heading back was if EZ-Pass would read the transponder correctly since I had temp plates. Later I checked and everything went great. Got to learn about the car on the way home.

Reactions: NaiWiste
I drove my trade-in to NJ to do the pickup. It was nice just to get out of the house for a while.
Given all of the problems I had heard, I fully expected to drive my trade-in back after rejecting the car.
The car was in great shape and I decided to accept it. The trade-in offer was low but since it was a 2010, I decided that I needed to have something to drive in case the Y was rejected. I did have the choice to get it delivered, but decided against that.
The touchless went great. We chatted on the phone a few times. The paperwork I needed to sign was in the Y with post-it arrows.
Everything went though a drop box. They even came out with a screwdriver, which I had forgotten and took off my old plates for me and placed them in the back of the Y. I transferred everything over and off I went. My biggest qualm heading back was if EZ-Pass would read the transponder correctly since I had temp plates. Later I checked and everything went great. Got to learn about the car on the way home.

Grats on your delivery. Did you notice anything wrong during or after the delivery? Paint imperfections, panel gaps, misalignments?

What was the vehicle you traded in and how much did they offer you?

Tesla offered me $18,800 for our mint 2017 GMC Acadia Denali (MSRP was just at $48K). I rejected that and submitted my car with KBB Instant Cash Offer program. Within an hour I received an e-mail offering me $23,890 and the name of two local dealers that would be in contact with me. Within another hour I received an e-mail and phone call. Both wanted the car, I opted to sell it to the dealer that was closest to me. The next day I took the car to that dealer and within 30 minutes we walked out with a check. Easy Peasy.