Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touchless Car wash. Should I do it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So been reading on the forums but nothing recent. I've seen that some soaps can mess up the black trim around the windows in 2020 Model Y's. Is this still a problem now? Is it safe to run my MYP through a touchless carwash? Thanks!

Check with the touchless car wash you plan to use regarding the detergents and other cleaning agents that are applied.

See Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual, page 173 for information regarding cleaning the Tesla Model Y:
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_y_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

CAUTION: Do not use hot water, detergents, or
highly alkaline or caustic cleaning products,
especially those containing hydroxide

CAUTION: If washing in an automatic car wash, use
touchless car washes only. These car washes have
no parts (brushes, etc.) that touch the surfaces of
Model Y. Some touchless car washes use caustic
solutions that, over time, can cause discoloration
of decorative exterior trim. Avoid exposure to
soaps and chemicals above pH 13. If unsure, check
the product label or ask the staff at the car wash.
Damage caused by improper washing is not
covered by the warranty

The issue is not whether the car will go through and come out safely in the car wash. It is more to do with the alkaline nature of the liquid spray at the carwash which can change or affect the color of the trim. One has no way of knowing the nature of the carwash solution when you are driving in to the carwash.

Reactions: Kingrat1
The issue is not whether the car will go through and come out safely in the car wash. It is more to do with the alkaline nature of the liquid spray at the carwash which can change or affect the color of the trim. One has no way of knowing the nature of the carwash solution when you are driving in to the carwash.
Yea I was trying to find out what the Ph was on the soap being used (Am/Pm Laser Wash). But I couldn't find anything online or in store.

Am I the only one who thinks that making a car with parts that can’t tolerate a car wash is poor design?
You're probably not the only one, but you may be in the minority.

I used to use car washes all the time. But now, the pride of ownership of a Tesla keeps me from using one. It helps that recent improvements in shampoos and car wash methods (rinse less, waterless) make it not only easy to wash by hand, but also less time consuming.

I used to use car washes all the time. But now, the pride of ownership of a Tesla keeps me from using one. It helps that recent improvements in shampoos and car wash methods (rinse less, waterless) make it not only easy to wash by hand, but also less time consuming.

Agreed. I find it a little humorous that many folks scrutinize 50+ checkpoints during vehicle delivery only to start using car washes during their ownership tenure. I get that many may not have access to hose and bucket or a garage but some good microfiber towels and rinse-less wash can get decent results.

Reactions: WattsHappening
Just a data point, I have never washed any of my Teslas for the last ten years.

I just rinse them and wipe them off with baby diapers (so s-o-f-t!) Once in a while wifey goes out and uses a spray wax on them. But never any soap. The baby diapers will adsorb any kind of dirt spots, bugs, oil drips or smog, and my cars always look like new.

Why do people wash off wax and then reapply it? Just wipe off the dirt and leave the wax alone! I'm still using the bottle of Turtle wax I used on my car 3 Teslas ago, not because I'm lazy, but because the wax is still there making the car shiny.

Reactions: Dogeftw
Not really. I don't think about it much because I don't use automatic car washes, ever.
In MN, washing your car in your driveway is not an option for most of the year. On top of that, I don't even know of a DIY wash anywhere near me and our water is incredibly hard (33 grains of hardness) so the one time I washed my car in the driveway it had horrible spots all over it. Automatic car washes are really the only viable option for me, especially if I want to get the salt off of my car in the winter.

We've used automatic car washes with all of our cars for years and never had an issue with the soap staining or marking the trim. If every other car maker can do it, why can't Tesla? I stand by my view that Tesla is using poorly chosen materials in its design if they don't hold up to a car wash.

Not if you live in WI though. Impossible.

In MN, washing your car in your driveway is not an option for most of the year. On top of that, I don't even know of a DIY wash anywhere near me and our water is incredibly hard (33 grains of hardness) so the one time I washed my car in the driveway it had horrible spots all over it. Automatic car washes are really the only viable option for me, especially if I want to get the salt off of my car in the winter.

We've used automatic car washes with all of our cars for years and never had an issue with the soap staining or marking the trim. If every other car maker can do it, why can't Tesla? I stand by my view that Tesla is using poorly chosen materials in its design if they don't hold up to a car wash.
interesting to hear that people can't wash cars in driveway. what is the reason? saving water?

When 6 out of 12 months it's below freezing. That's why.
Also, our water is incredibly hard - Typically anything above 11 grains is considered 'very hard.' Ours is 33 grains. That means you end up with horrible water spots if unless you're able to get rid of all the water before it dries.

We also had a ban on washing cars this summer during the drought. They may have lifted it now, but with high temps around 6º C/45º F, washing the car in the driveway isn't practical.

Reactions: DrGriz
So been reading on the forums but nothing recent. I've seen that some soaps can mess up the black trim around the windows in 2020 Model Y's. Is this still a problem now? Is it safe to run my MYP through a touchless carwash? Thanks!
As far as I am aware this is still an issue if you use a touchless automatic car wash.

You should be OK if you use the self wash bay (this wash requires you purchase and put in tokens.) Avoid the presoak stage as this is solution is probably very high pH. Just get the exterior wet and then apply the standard soap solution followed by the high pressure water. The final rinse stage is designed to minimize water spotting and should not discolor the trim.

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz