Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touchless delivery questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have touchless delivery scheduled for this Saturday in Highland Park, IL. Tesla confirmed via text that they will update my pricing to reflect the price reduction, but other than that there's not a lot of info coming from Tesla. A few questions on the process:

1. Tesla originally connected me with a loan from JPMorgan Chase, which shows up in my Tesla account. That quote is now more than 30 days old. I assume that loan quote will need to be updated by Tesla before Saturday?

2. Other than signing paperwork at delivery, do I need to do anything to arrange for this loan from JPM?

3. If I am putting $5,000 down, do I just bring a check to the delivery location and somehow drop that check off as part of the touchless delivery process?

4. I assume I can drive my trade-in to the delivery location, and then somehow hand over the title and keys to Tesla as part of the touchless delivery process? I live about 90 miles from the Highland Park delivery location.

Thanks.

A few things.

1) The loans are good for 60 days now because of COVID

2) You will see a button on your screen when the car is ready to "Accept Loan Terms"

3) You should have the amount due listed on your portal as well. Bring either a Cashiers Check or you can log into your bank from Teslas site and make the payment that way. (I heard personal checks are no longer being accepted, but I do not have confirmation on this.)

4) They will literally take your trade-in and then hand over keys and any documentation.

It's actually a pretty easy and rather quick process. The only tip I have is to look over the car really well before you click "accept Loan terms" and "accept delivery" button. After that, the only option will be to return the car within the 7 day period if you find out you are not happy.

Congrats and you will love your new car!

A few things.

1) The loans are good for 60 days now because of COVID

2) You will see a button on your screen when the car is ready to "Accept Loan Terms"

3) You should have the amount due listed on your portal as well. Bring either a Cashiers Check or you can log into your bank from Teslas site and make the payment that way. (I heard personal checks are no longer being accepted, but I do not have confirmation on this.)

4) They will literally take your trade-in and then hand over keys and any documentation.

It's actually a pretty easy and rather quick process. The only tip I have is to look over the car really well before you click "accept Loan terms" and "accept delivery" button. After that, the only option will be to return the car within the 7 day period if you find out you are not happy.

Congrats and you will love your new car!

Can not stress enough the quote:

"look over the car really well before you click "accept Loan terms" and "accept delivery" button. After that, the only option will be to return the car within the 7 day period if you find out you are not happy."

They will try to force you to accept the delivery asap. Do your job right - look at the car. If you do not like what you see (misalignments, paint issues, etc) and you do not want to deal with repairs on a new car - reject it. It is tempting to accept the car and drive new MY, but then you may regret it,

I did this mistake. And I returned the car and now will need to wait 2-3 months before they return the money.

when you arrive at the pickup location the vehicle will be designated a parking spot number. You will click accept delivery on your Telsa account, that will now allow you to access the vehicle with the tesla app. Inside you will have all the registration documents you must sign. Place all the new vehicle documents provide, your trade-in documents, and payment (in your case financing check) in the drop box and your good to go. I picked up my Model 3 this weekend, strangest car buying experience I ever had, I'm assuming primarily because of COVID.

when you arrive at the pickup location the vehicle will be designated a parking spot number. You will click accept delivery on your Telsa account, that will now allow you to access the vehicle with the tesla app. Inside you will have all the registration documents you must sign. Place all the new vehicle documents provide, your trade-in documents, and payment (in your case financing check) in the drop box and your good to go. I picked up my Model 3 this weekend, strangest car buying experience I ever had, I'm assuming primarily because of COVID.

That's really good info, thanks! So how can we inspect the car, get into it, before tapping "accept delivery" on the phone? What if we do that and then we find issues inside? Can we ask a service rep to let us in before we accept it?

Did you have any interaction with a human while there?

I did a visual inspection around the car when I got there, I actually saw what look like a scratch on the rear bumper. There was one service advisor there to service everyone picking up there vehicle which was really inconvenient, but at the time I was there I got his attention before anyone else approached him about a question. In my case it was marking from vehicle wrap during transportation and he cleaned it up for me. In the case that you have serious issues with you vehicle I would assume you would advise that service agent. The inside of the vehicle you will not be able to inspect until you accept delivery but if there was something wrong I wouldn't leave the lot until it is documented or taken care exactly how I wanted. Ideally Tesla wants no human interaction or very little if need be.

Reactions: Impaler
For what it's worth, I would NOT use the ACH option to pay balances before delivery. You are basically letting Tesla get their hooks in you early. Even if you reject your car at delivery, they still have ALL your money. They really don't have an incentive to get you a replacement as quickly as they should. I am picking mine up tomorrow after rejecting the first one on 6/30. I didn't give them the balance at pickup then and I am not going to do it this time either until I am completely satisfied with the car.

Case in point. Just received a call from the SC that my Y needs a repaint for a "small" 1/2 inch scratch on the roof rail and would take another week. To me a 1/2 inch scratch that requires a repaint is a DENT/gouge that wen into the primer. Which means bondo + block sanding + respray. I don't think so. I told them they can keep the car and release it from my account. My down payment? It's still in my checkbook! ;)

• Informative
Reactions: InnovativeLady
I did a visual inspection around the car when I got there, I actually saw what look like a scratch on the rear bumper. There was one service advisor there to service everyone picking up there vehicle which was really inconvenient, but at the time I was there I got his attention before anyone else approached him about a question. In my case it was marking from vehicle wrap during transportation and he cleaned it up for me. In the case that you have serious issues with you vehicle I would assume you would advise that service agent. The inside of the vehicle you will not be able to inspect until you accept delivery but if there was something wrong I wouldn't leave the lot until it is documented or taken care exactly how I wanted. Ideally Tesla wants no human interaction or very little if need be.

Great, thanks. I'll keep that all in mind.

I posted this in another thread but here's what I did:

1. I refused to pay for the car sight unseen. I was asked to pay for it multiple times and I kept my wording simple while getting my point across: "I don't feel comfortable paying a car in full before I get to see it. I hope you understand!". There's really nothing they can answer to that since it's perfectly reasonable.

2. While talking to the delivery advisor, I made it clear I intended to look inside before accepting delivery. At first I was told that was "not possible", but I insisted only to then be put on hold for 1 minute and told I could ask someone to remotely open the car for me on delivery day. IMPORTANT: Ask for the delivery advisor's name!

3. On the day of delivery, I was again asked to accept delivery and told I couldn't have the car open. However, since I had the person's name from #2, I was asked to wait a couple of minutes and they did open the car for me.

4. I paid by personal check on the day of delivery. I also only finalized my loan (not through Tesla) the day before. That clearly gave me the most leverage, I doubt they would have let me do the above if I had already paid for the car. The only catch is that not all states allow this.

FWIW, I don't understand why some of you are so eager to take the car home without doing a thorough inspection on the lot. Don't fall victim to convenience. Do not leave the lot until everything is documented. Once you leave the lot, YOU are liable for any and all damage to the vehicle. I rejected two cars in the last two weeks. First one after inspection and second one over the phone when they called to say there was damage on the roof. You've waited this long, what's another couple of weeks? Why would you want to give-up your good, hard-earned money for something that isn't reasonably perfect?? o_O

For what it's worth, I would NOT use the ACH option to pay balances before delivery. You are basically letting Tesla get their hooks in you early. Even if you reject your car at delivery, they still have ALL your money. They really don't have an incentive to get you a replacement as quickly as they should. I am picking mine up tomorrow after rejecting the first one on 6/30. I didn't give them the balance at pickup then and I am not going to do it this time either until I am completely satisfied with the car.
Agree, I’m putting down over 70% of MSRP and until I can lay my eyes and hands on the car they don’t get my $$