Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touchscreen Gone Dark After 9 Days

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 9 days of ownership, the Touchscreen went dark on the way out to dinner last night. I called Tech Support & we went through the reboot protocols but nothing. We even rebooted the Instrument Cluster & all that did was cause it to flicker through day version, night version & some weird version where the "road" graphic turns into some trapezoidal image. The Touchscreen still responds to my touch as evidenced by being able to turn the volume up & down on the radio. We talked about fuses but probably not that plus the owners manual does not provide the correct fuse box configuration for my car (it has 1 fuse box under the frunk, not 3). It has been charging overnight but no magic cure has occurred. After showing the car off to most of my neighbors, I am embarrassed & pissed. Waiting to hear from my SC.

Could be an early life failure of the console... Or just a plug wiggled free.

If electronics are going to fail, it's usually early in their lifecycle. "Hopefully" that's all it is here.

No matter, Tesla will make it right again.

Thanks to Ken & Christopher in the Decatur, GA Service Center, and Scott in the parts department, the MCU was replaced and we are back to normal. The root cause seems to be either a PC board or chip that controls the backlight. Christopher, The Lone Ranger, took almost 5 hours to diagnose, communicate with engineering & replace the unit but he did a great job and stayed here until almost 8:30 PM! This is a rare instance where the entire unit needed to be replaced. He answered all my questions about the car and his experiences & even showed me a trick or two! He is a great ambassador for the company--he was professional, knowledgeable and very nice to talk to. We still have a few open issues (like the owners manual) but I know my local guys are doing everything they can to get me back on track.