Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow company towed X without being in tow mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly, this is less a Tesla thing and more an AWD vehicle thing. You can't tow modern AWD vehicles with any wheels on the ground.

That's more true with older generation AWD vehicles and 4WD vehicles. Those typically were fully connected mechanically via diffs and transfer cases; and to some extent manual transmission Subaru's still are. But the majority of new/modern AWD vehicles are more of a reactive AWD system than a proactive AWD system and utilize electronic sensors and clutch packs. The majority will be two drive wheels (fwd or rwd) until traction is needed. This reduces the fuel economy impact of a true AWD/4WD system. The result is that it can be towed when off/nuetral because the sensors are off an aren't engaging AWD.

That's more true with older generation AWD vehicles and 4WD vehicles. Those typically were fully connected mechanically via diffs and transfer cases; and to some extent manual transmission Subaru's still are. But the majority of new/modern AWD vehicles are more of a reactive AWD system than a proactive AWD system and utilize electronic sensors and clutch packs. The majority will be two drive wheels (fwd or rwd) until traction is needed. This reduces the fuel economy impact of a true AWD/4WD system. The result is that it can be towed when off/nuetral because the sensors are off an aren't engaging AWD.
Admittedly, my last few AWD vehicles were BMWs (X5M and X6M) and an older (2007) Acura MDX, but those all required flatbed. Older 4WD systems with locking hubs can be towed with the hubs unlocked.

I'm sure there are some new cases to towing 4WD or AWD vehicles, but I think flatbed is still the norm for towing, rather than the exception.

Admittedly, my last few AWD vehicles were BMWs (X5M and X6M) and an older (2007) Acura MDX, but those all required flatbed. Older 4WD systems with locking hubs can be towed with the hubs unlocked.

I'm sure there are some new cases to towing 4WD or AWD vehicles, but I think flatbed is still the norm for towing, rather than the exception.

Agreed it's become the norm. A lot of it is for legal reasons, easier to just say flatbed than to deal with a lawsuit should something occur. A lot of FWD/RWD vehicles started requiring flatbed only.

Do you think my RWD Model 3 could be safely towed with the front tires on the ground? Not that I would try that...
In theory, with the steering secured and any brakes disengaged, you could do it without damage. It wouldn't be any different than towing other RWD vehicles, but I don't think it's recommended for any significant distance. You'd be transferring higher than normal weight onto the front hubs.

Tow mode is only for pulling the car onto a flatbed. You cannot tow a Tesla with two wheels on the road. This will void your warranty.

If you didn't tow on a flatbed, you may be in trouble.
Well not exactly. There is another way and I had to do it. Putting "dollys" under the back wheels and lifting the front off the ground. But of course, if a flatbed is available, that is what I will ask to bring to my car.

Sorry to hear about this. Learned something myself. Only catch a ride on a flatbed. BTW, if you do get it figured out. do let us know.
Or you could tow it this way. :eek::D:D:D

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 119
  • Funny
Reactions: jboy210 and Dr. J
I am surprised to hear that there are places were they don't use flatbed towing only. I don't think I have seen one of the old tow trucks that just lifts the front or rear wheels only in 5+ years.
Yes, out in my area I don't see this much either, BUT in many parts of the US, still very common. They often carry a short trailer dolly or wheel dollys for cars with damaged wheels/suspensions or cars like Teslas.

Reactions: jboy210