Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hitch Cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1A5E7700-C326-4816-A14F-0D98C0439BDB.jpeg
4DCB1F3F-1BB0-408A-86CE-D90336C62537.jpeg
FEC82B6B-A8F9-4D1A-B431-3CAB831C05F3.jpeg
I finally found a solution to that PIA bumper cover that I have to remove every time I want to use my tow hitch with a bike rack. I got a replacement piece, cut out a 2X2 hole in the middle to slide my bike rack in without removing the bumper piece, and modified a standard black rubber cover piece to cover the opening when not in use, thoughts, good or bad?

Looks nice! How would you lock it in? My Kuat has a locking pin. Pick up my Y on Saturday (hopefully!).

Is there enough access to the hitch from below where you could still get access without moving the larger trim piece?

View attachment 633493 View attachment 633492 View attachment 633491 I finally found a solution to that PIA bumper cover that I have to remove every time I want to use my tow hitch with a bike rack. I got a replacement piece, cut out a 2X2 hole in the middle to slide my bike rack in without removing the bumper piece, and modified a standard black rubber cover piece to cover the opening when not in use, thoughts, good or bad?
I have a question but it doesn't have to do with the hitch cover, which looks nice. How exactly do the roof racks attach? I worry about breaking the glass roof.

Thanks,

Awesome! I need to do this.

View attachment 633493 View attachment 633492 View attachment 633491 I finally found a solution to that PIA bumper cover that I have to remove every time I want to use my tow hitch with a bike rack. I got a replacement piece, cut out a 2X2 hole in the middle to slide my bike rack in without removing the bumper piece, and modified a standard black rubber cover piece to cover the opening when not in use, thoughts, good or bad?

I appreciate any attempt at solutions to this horrible design of a hitch cover, but personally I don't think I could drive around without the safety pin inserted.

I was out there last night measuring trying to figure out a way to affix the cover to the bumper with magnets. I was inspired by another member who mounted their cover to the hitch with magnets, but the bumper and hitch move independently from one another so that seems non-ideal.

I absolutely hate this design as well. I already bent/broke the clips on two of the covers, and am on the 3rd cover now.

Good news (maybe?) Model Y's rolling off the line as of this week have been updated to use a new easier-to-remove tow hitch cover. The cover has a little "ring" on it where you put a finger into to help you pull it off. Take a look in the Tesla order page.

I2bpQa.png

Would be interested in knowing how this new design works.

Same here, I broke off a few clips but it is still somehow stays in place. This new design would be great. Do you know if it is available already and what is the part #? If it is I'll order it as it can't be worse that the current design.

Has anyone actually seen the "new hitch cover" shown on the Tesla order page yet?
I'd love to know if it actually solves the problem of getting the cover off and whether there is anything more to it than just a pull tabs.

How do you hook up your safety chains?
there are two loops like on any hitch, they are up in there a little awkward on the driver side as the plug is on the side. I leave my snap link with a c-link clip attached so I don't have to clip it on the drive side one, I just put the chain around the c-clip and screw the nut down to close it. It tucks up inside no problem with the cover on.

I absolutely hate this design as well. I already bent/broke the clips on two of the covers, and am on the 3rd cover now.

Good news (maybe?) Model Y's rolling off the line as of this week have been updated to use a new easier-to-remove tow hitch cover. The cover has a little "ring" on it where you put a finger into to help you pull it off. Take a look in the Tesla order page.

I2bpQa.png

Would be interested in knowing how this new design works.
How did you get a replacement cover?