TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tow Hitch Opening

Discussion in 'Model X' started by jajabor, Apr 27, 2018.

1. jajabor

jajabor Member

#1 jajabor, Apr 27, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    So, I finally installed the tow hitch on my March 2017 MX. Anyway, now that the cover is gone, small animals or snakes could get in through the opening and build a nest. There's a nice little gap between battery and the bottom shield. It's rattle snake season in California and I'm a little worried. Just wondering how everyone feels about it and if anyone has any suggestions.

mx tow hitch opening.jpg

2. Ruffles

Ruffles Member

Hmm. I hadn't considered rodents. I prefer the clean look without it installed so I remove my hitch whenever I'm not actively using.

• Like x 1
  3. jajabor

jajabor Member

Yes, rodents, road debris, and water are my concerns as well...

• Like x 1
  4. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

Same here, I pop the hitch off when it's not in use. It stays in my frunk and I keep the cover on.

5. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

If I used it much, I would do the same. I wonder if you could order a spare cover and do some creative whittling :D to make one that would keep debris and critters out? I'm guessing Tesla assumes you will remove it all the time, but I can definitely see a case for never removing it, also. (I believe Bjorn never removes his, he uses it so much!)

• Like x 1
  6. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

I've asked about this. I guess I should remind my service center that I would like an extra to carve up. I leave my bike rack on all the time as I use it multiple times a week.

• Like x 2
  7. jajabor

jajabor Member

This looks awesome!

8. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

Wasn't there a video Elon shared awhile ago where there was a kitty stuck in the back of an X. Less entry points into the car = better

• Like x 1
  9. idoco

idoco Member

I ended up cutting an opening in the door to allow the receiver to stay in place at all times. Also allows for chain extensions. I also cut a hole and moved the 7-blade connector to the rear of the belly pan, next to the hitch opening (just to the left in this photo).

chain extensions.jpg

• Helpful x 3
    • Like x 2
  10. AxeBro

AxeBro MrTryTesla.com

I was going to say the same thing - what if we get a hole-saw and cut just the right amount? fit some rubber grommet/bushing around and boom, keep in there.

11. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I can’t tell from your photo if you retained the cover for that connector or not. I would not leave it open and exposed, the contacts will get very dirty.

12. ShawnA

ShawnA Member

Hi Idoco,

What did you use for chain extensions?

Thank you, Shawn

13. jajabor

jajabor Member

Here's my version:
    tesla hitch2.jpg

14. Peteski

Peteski Active Member

Looks like a good solution if you don't need access to the electrical connector. I just take mine off if I'm not using it, takes literally less than a minute to remove the towbar and replace the cover. I thought that was the whole point of a quick release! But obviously that doesn't help when it is in use if there are snakes and rodents about!

I do wonder why they made the access panel so large. Maybe gives service access to other things?

15. idoco

idoco Member

16. idoco

idoco Member

Cover is still in place. Flipped closed in the picture. I have the hinge facing the front of car so when the cover is open it is easier to insert the trailer plug.

• Like x 2
  17. yancantcook

yancantcook Member

anybody keep the tow hitch attached for "bumper protection" or to ward off people from parking too close to you? I have it on but don't really plan on towing anything. Am thinking about buying the "bumper bully" hitch

18. Peteski

Peteski Active Member

Well you risk more serious structural damage if someone does whack the tow hitch, so it's swings and roundabouts there.