Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • The final cut of TMC Podcast #27 is available now with topics time-stamped. We discussed: Consolidation in LiDAR manufacturers; Volvo EX90 shipping with LiDAR; FSD Beta Full Release in N.A.; FSD detecting autopilot cheats, Gwen Shotwell directly overseeing SpaceX Starship; and more. You can watch it now on YouTube. We should have it published to podcast networks shortly.

Tow Hitch Opening

So, I finally installed the tow hitch on my March 2017 MX. Anyway, now that the cover is gone, small animals or snakes could get in through the opening and build a nest. There's a nice little gap between battery and the bottom shield. It's rattle snake season in California and I'm a little worried. Just wondering how everyone feels about it and if anyone has any suggestions.

mx tow hitch opening.jpg

Last edited:

boaterva

Supporting Member
If I used it much, I would do the same. I wonder if you could order a spare cover and do some creative whittling :D to make one that would keep debris and critters out? I'm guessing Tesla assumes you will remove it all the time, but I can definitely see a case for never removing it, also. (I believe Bjorn never removes his, he uses it so much!)

Reactions: Kacey Green
If I used it much, I would do the same. I wonder if you could order a spare cover and do some creative whittling :D to make one that would keep debris and critters out? I'm guessing Tesla assumes you will remove it all the time, but I can definitely see a case for never removing it, also. (I believe Bjorn never removes his, he uses it so much!)
I've asked about this. I guess I should remind my service center that I would like an extra to carve up. I leave my bike rack on all the time as I use it multiple times a week.

Looks like a good solution if you don't need access to the electrical connector. I just take mine off if I'm not using it, takes literally less than a minute to remove the towbar and replace the cover. I thought that was the whole point of a quick release! But obviously that doesn't help when it is in use if there are snakes and rodents about!

I do wonder why they made the access panel so large. Maybe gives service access to other things?

I can’t tell from your photo if you retained the cover for that connector or not. I would not leave it open and exposed, the contacts will get very dirty.

Cover is still in place. Flipped closed in the picture. I have the hinge facing the front of car so when the cover is open it is easier to insert the trailer plug.

anybody keep the tow hitch attached for "bumper protection" or to ward off people from parking too close to you? I have it on but don't really plan on towing anything. Am thinking about buying the "bumper bully" hitch

Well you risk more serious structural damage if someone does whack the tow hitch, so it's swings and roundabouts there.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC