Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hitch Opening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I finally installed the tow hitch on my March 2017 MX. Anyway, now that the cover is gone, small animals or snakes could get in through the opening and build a nest. There's a nice little gap between battery and the bottom shield. It's rattle snake season in California and I'm a little worried. Just wondering how everyone feels about it and if anyone has any suggestions.

mx tow hitch opening.jpg

Last edited:
If I used it much, I would do the same. I wonder if you could order a spare cover and do some creative whittling :D to make one that would keep debris and critters out? I'm guessing Tesla assumes you will remove it all the time, but I can definitely see a case for never removing it, also. (I believe Bjorn never removes his, he uses it so much!)

Reactions: Kacey Green
If I used it much, I would do the same. I wonder if you could order a spare cover and do some creative whittling :D to make one that would keep debris and critters out? I'm guessing Tesla assumes you will remove it all the time, but I can definitely see a case for never removing it, also. (I believe Bjorn never removes his, he uses it so much!)
I've asked about this. I guess I should remind my service center that I would like an extra to carve up. I leave my bike rack on all the time as I use it multiple times a week.

Looks like a good solution if you don't need access to the electrical connector. I just take mine off if I'm not using it, takes literally less than a minute to remove the towbar and replace the cover. I thought that was the whole point of a quick release! But obviously that doesn't help when it is in use if there are snakes and rodents about!

I do wonder why they made the access panel so large. Maybe gives service access to other things?