Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the Tesla tow pack wiring include a bypass relay or module to ensure that any trailer wiring faults do not impact the vehicle lights?

I've only seen a picture of the trailer plug wiring harness and could not spot any 'black box' included in the wiring harness.

This raised quite a few questions:
1) is this vehicle protection feature included in the Tesla towing option?
2) if not, does Tesla provide it some other way, e.g. separate main harness feeds for the trailer lights?
3) If you short out a trailer bulb, does the circuit-breaker turn both the affected trailer light and the 'driving' vehicle light off (which is not the ideal solution)?
4) Does the same Tesla tow harness design cover the the X, 3, & Y ?

Has anyone got any details on this, or experienced a trailer wiring issue affecting (or not affecting) their vehicle lights?

I tow but cannot answer your questions definitively other than to say that I have not had any issues with my trailer lights or car lights while towing. I am not aware of any reports of trailer light issues adversely effecting Model X lights. I do recall that some people who tow with their X have reported that if the trailer is 100% LED lighting they had a problem getting the trailer lights to work correctly. If you search the X forums you should be able to find posts about that (I realize that isn’t your question, as near as I can tell).

Hi SSSimon,

There are several fuses in the Model X that cover different conductors to the trailer.
If you badly short a light on your trailer the fuse should blow and this will NOT affect
the corresponding function in the Model X.
With that being said these fuses are in peculiar places and difficult places to access.

Good luck,

Shawn