Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anything need to be changed software side to enable a DIY added OEM trailer wiring module for Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to find out if a "non tow package" equipped Model 3 has a 1112284-00-8 trailer module added later by the user, is any of the trailer specific functionality immediately exposed when the module is plugged in, or does it take a Tesla specific tool to enable “Trailer Mode" and signal lighting, or other associated functionality?

Tesla trailer module 1112284-00-8 And harness 1446560-02-A
IMG_6471.jpeg

Also curious , what is this 2 pin Brown plug pigtail on this specific harness? Cant tell if it is Euro/US Spec?
What model is this module and socket and "extra plug" utilized on, possibly Model X/S for trailer brakes as a "guess"?

I don’t know as such, but , when I picked up my previous used M3 from Tesla the tow warning light was on. Tesla took it back in for warranty and it transpires the car had been given a new rear bumper (which I’d be told about), but they’d not re-installed the towing electrics which they should have done. So I assume the car config was expecting something to be present and didn’t like it not being. Whether plugging in the electrics updates the car config, I wouldn’t know but it seems if the cars expecting it and it’s unplugged you’ll have a warning light forever. (This isn’t unplugging the trailer, it’s the tow pack electronics).

Don’t know if that helps at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: rotarypower101
When installing other factory accessories, such as the HomeLink module or PWS speaker, the car needs someone with access to the Tesla configuration update tool to program the car and let it know the accessory is present. Not certain if the Tow module is the same but I would expect it is.

When installing other factory accessories, such as the HomeLink module or PWS speaker, the car needs someone with access to the Tesla configuration update tool to program the car and let it know the accessory is present. Not certain if the Tow module is the same but I would expect it is.

I thought I recalled someone on the forum who had installed a tow bar for bike carriers seeing the trailer indicator coming up onscreen ...

Looking to find out if a "non tow package" equipped Model 3 has a 1112284-00-8 trailer module added later by the user, is any of the trailer specific functionality immediately exposed when the module is plugged in, or does it take a Tesla specific tool to enable “Trailer Mode" and signal lighting, or other associated functionality?

Tesla trailer module 1112284-00-8 And harness 1446560-02-A
View attachment 950280

Also curious , what is this 2 pin Brown plug pigtail on this specific harness? Cant tell if it is Euro/US Spec?
What model is this module and socket and "extra plug" utilized on, possibly Model X/S for trailer brakes as a "guess"?
Remember that if your car left the factory without a tow bar it may not be legal to fit one ons use it.
Check the rating plate on the front door pillar to see the allowed towing capacity.

Remember that if your car left the factory without a tow bar it may not be legal to fit one ons use it.
Check the rating plate on the front door pillar to see the allowed towing capacity.
This, Model 3’s that have a tow bar fitted at the factory have a different rear frame.

If it wasn’t specked from the factory - don’t do it. You may end up like those pictures floating around on the internet a couple of months ago. Spoiler alert - a car with aftet market tow bar in the USA had the rear ended was ripped off.

Reactions: CMc1 and KennethS
I thought I recalled someone on the forum who had installed a tow bar for bike carriers seeing the trailer indicator coming up onscreen ...
If I could implore you to have a quick look to see if you might be able to find this thread/info ?

Looking for information on the topic , and it is sparse at best, as well as fraught with negative comments discouraging learning about such things.

This, Model 3’s that have a tow bar fitted at the factory have a different rear frame.

If it wasn’t specked from the factory - don’t do it. You may end up like those pictures floating around on the internet a couple of months ago. Spoiler alert - a car with aftet market tow bar in the USA had the rear ended was ripped off.
I dont believe that is the case, it is the "tow bar" itself that is added in the place of the original crash structure.

AFAIK, there is NO tangible difference in the unibody, and Tesla will gladly add a tow bar to a vehicle that was not delivered with the tow bar for a nominal fee.

To address that thread I believe is referenced, if you inspect the photos that goes with that story, you can clearly see a large heavy trailer and a wheel that was blocked anchoring the trailer/vehicle. Its open to interpretation, but don't do that and you likely won't remove the rear of your vehicle...
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4019d.jpg

I dont know why the last photo I meant to post in the top comment is missing, I know I added it before posting, would like to ask again incase anyone might know the answer to this mystery?

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_40339.jpg

Wanted to make sure and say Thank You for any enlightenment on these questions, the US sections are Very dismissive of learning about this topic, nor do many that are commenting there have any specific knowledge or experience about this topic directly with the Model 3

I dont believe that is the case, it is the "tow bar" itself that is added in the place of the original crash structure.

AFAIK, there is NO tangible difference in the unibody, and Tesla will gladly add a tow bar to a vehicle that was not delivered with the tow bar for a nominal fee.

Tesla will not add a tow bar to a model 3 for a nominal fee unless it was specified with one from the factory. Structural parts of the rear of the car are different.

As also noted in this thread, they are also not type approved for towing unless they came from the factory, their towing capacity is listed as zero on the rating plate. If you are pulled by the police, you are in a whole load of pain and they do pull a lot of EVs that are towing because they don’t think they are approved to tow because many aren’t.

This is why respondents to this thread have concentrated on saying ‘no’ rather than helping the poster with their question.

Sure you could install one and only put a bike rack on it, but why go to all that effort when you could just chuck them on a set of cheep roof bars.

That's doesn't look like a Model 3 harness. The service manual only shows one cable going from the plug to the ECU as per your first photo.
I've had a quick look at the X manuals and although they have two connectors the larger one looks different to your photo. Are you able to get a better photo of the part number?

Tesla will not add a tow bar to a model 3 for a nominal fee unless it was specified with one from the factory. Structural parts of the rear of the car are different.

As also noted in this thread, they are also not type approved for towing unless they came from the factory, their towing capacity is listed as zero on the rating plate. If you are pulled by the police, you are in a whole load of pain and they do pull a lot of EVs that are towing because they don’t think they are approved to tow because many aren’t.

This is why respondents to this thread have concentrated on saying ‘no’ rather than helping the poster with their question.

Sure you could install one and only put a bike rack on it, but why go to all that effort when you could just chuck them on a set of cheep roof bars.
Exactly this. The M3 is somewhat annoying in that it will only be rated to tow if it was specced from the factory. If it didn’t come with a towbar, then it will never be able to tow. I’ve seen various arguments as to how different factory spec and non-factory spec M3 towbars are, however it’s a moot point. The rating plate inside the passenger door says 0kg towing so that’s the end of that. It is technically possible to fit an aftermarket towbar, but you should only ever use this for carrying a bike carrier. Also, I don’t think Tesla would be too kind if you had any kind of warranty issue that may be in any way linked to the aftermarket modification.

If I could implore you to have a quick look to see if you might be able to find this thread/info ?

Looking for information on the topic , and it is sparse at best, as well as fraught with negative comments discouraging learning about such things.

Please keep in mind that the actual tow bar/hitch element is different for UK cars, though the principles of the supporting chassis structure, wiring and software issues will be the same ... so bearing that in mind, here is another thread:

Im here to learn if you can tolerate the questions, I have not seen any information showing this is true yet, and have been searching for a few months on any details I can find on the topic of tow bars/hitches/towing with these.

Could you or Anyone please provide any physical evidence structural parts or assembly methods involved with towing on the Model 3 are different between the two variations?

If true, I would Really like to know about it, as Im intending to add a hitch to a Model 3, but first trying hard to make sure what I think is correct from the information avalible on the topic.

Please keep in mind that the actual tow bar/hitch element is different for UK cars, though the principles of the supporting chassis structure, wiring and software issues will be the same ... so bearing that in mind, here is another thread:
Good thread , thank you for the link, just out the door, but will be back to ask a few more questions if anyone knows a bit more on the topic.

Im here to learn if you can tolerate the questions, I have not seen any information showing this is true yet, and have been searching for a few months on any details I can find on the topic of tow bars/hitches/towing with these.

Could you or Anyone please provide any physical evidence structural parts or assembly methods involved with towing on the Model 3 are different between the two variations?

If true, I would Really like to know about it, as Im intending to add a hitch to a Model 3, but first trying hard to make sure what I think is correct from the information avalible on the topic.
It's worth noting that you appear to be in the US and this is a UK sub area. Anything regarding the law/regulations etc may differ here to where you are, and even Teslas policy/product may differ (our cars now come from differnt factories). I think the thread still has some merit as some people do aftermarket installs for carrying bike racks whci I belueve is legal int he UK even if not actiual towing,

Exactly this. The M3 is somewhat annoying in that it will only be rated to tow if it was specced from the factory. If it didn’t come with a towbar, then it will never be able to tow. I’ve seen various arguments as to how different factory spec and non-factory spec M3 towbars are, however it’s a moot point. The rating plate inside the passenger door says 0kg towing so that’s the end of that. It is technically possible to fit an aftermarket towbar, but you should only ever use this for carrying a bike carrier. Also, I don’t think Tesla would be too kind if you had any kind of warranty issue that may be in any way linked to the aftermarket modification.
I assume your insuance would also take a dim view if you had an accident while towing with a zero rated car?