Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anything need to be changed software side to enable a DIY added OEM trailer wiring module for Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The tow hitch receiver bracket has finally arrived from Poland, albeit almost a week late due to customs delays. So, hopefully I'll be fitting it this weekend. @doats1 , when you removed the rear crash beam and replaced it with the tow hitch receiver bracket, did you fit nylon washers between it and the body? There's no mention of the in the procedure, so I'm guessing it's just metal to metal right? I see almost all aftermarket tow hitch's use them, what's your opinion please?

The tow hitch receiver bracket has finally arrived from Poland, albeit almost a week late due to customs delays. So, hopefully I'll be fitting it this weekend. @doats1 , when you removed the rear crash beam and replaced it with the tow hitch receiver bracket, did you fit nylon washers between it and the body? There's no mention of the in the procedure, so I'm guessing it's just metal to metal right? I see almost all aftermarket tow hitch's use them, what's your opinion please?
I didn’t install washers, the Tesla manual doesn’t mention it for securing the receiver onto the body:

But you do need one for securing the ECU to the receiver. I believe it comes with the ECU.

I should add that the crash beam is secured against a pair of brackets. Both the beam and the brackets need to be removed to install the receiver. I don’t think either of them have washers.

Reactions: Garethrn
People that have the OEM Tesla trailer lighting module for the Model 3, does the Tesla model 3 module have populated and active pinouts for the Low Voltage DC output on Pins 9/13 and 10/11, typically used for things like charging a trailer mounted battery, brake controllers, etc?

Specifically for the older FLA 12Vdc system on Model 3? And curious was LV output changed/omitted with newer Li Ion 16Vdc LV system as with the newer Model Y?

Did any iteration of the Model 3 OEM Tesla trailer lighting module support DC output on Pins 9/13 and 10/11?

Screenshot 2024-05-28 at 1.10.20 PM.png

People that have the OEM Tesla trailer lighting module for the Model 3, does the Tesla model 3 module have populated and active pinouts for the Low Voltage DC output on Pins 9/13 and 10/11, typically used for things like charging a trailer mounted battery, brake controllers, etc?

Specifically for the older FLA 12Vdc system on Model 3? And curious was LV output changed/omitted with newer Li Ion 16Vdc LV system as with the newer Model Y?

Did any iteration of the Model 3 OEM Tesla trailer lighting module support DC output on Pins 9/13 and 10/11?

View attachment 1051396
Pins 9-13 are not active for current Model 3's and I doubt they ever will be given the limited towing capacity.

https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/...UID-BD9A38D5-4410-45A3-8337-BDF7342750F3.html

Reactions: rotarypower101
I finally got round to fitting the tow hitch today, so a big thank you to everyone that chipped in, especially @doats1 I simply couldn't have done it without you. The hardware fitting process took around 1 hr 30 mins (I was genuinely surprised how quickly it went on) and the toolbox session was done in minutes. This clearly doesn't include the countless hours I've spent researching and watching tutorials 🤣. I thought I'd add a few pics for anyone that's interested. Overall it was very simple and one of the only jobs on a car where I haven't lost any skin off knuckles or sliced my hand on a sharp piece of plastic or metal LOL.

Attachments

• IMG_0749.JPEG
    IMG_0749.JPEG
    499.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0751.JPEG
    IMG_0751.JPEG
    275.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0758.JPEG
    IMG_0758.JPEG
    340.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0740.JPEG
    IMG_0740.JPEG
    591.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0745.JPEG
    IMG_0745.JPEG
    408.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0747.JPEG
    IMG_0747.JPEG
    554.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0748.JPEG
    IMG_0748.JPEG
    464.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0753.JPEG
    IMG_0753.JPEG
    483.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Love
Reactions: doats1
Nice! I hope you get lots of good use out of it.

Mine is still going strong after hundreds of miles of use:

IMG_8071.jpeg

First few drives were a bit anxious but all good now. It’s been such a great addition for road trips (currently using for the half term holiday); in hindsight I wish I specced it when I ordered.

Nice! I hope you get lots of good use out of it.

Mine is still going strong after hundreds of miles of use:

View attachment 1051983

First few drives were a bit anxious but all good now. It’s been such a great addition for road trips (currently using for the half term holiday); in hindsight I wish I specced it when I ordered.
I think my first few drives will be a little anxious to LOL! Thanks again though mate, you've really been a great help, it's greatly appreciated! Have fun during the half term holiday's. It's a shame the weather's not been better (standard half term weather), my kids are climbing the walls! Although we managed to get to Weymouth yesterday with no torrential down poors 😅.

View attachment 1051396
The M3 has never had pins 9 and above wired in. The MY has had them at times, depending on Tesla’s mood at the time.

Hi, maybe you guys can help.
I have recently bought a 2021 model 3 in New Zealand and am wanting to fit a tow hitch.
I can get an aftermarket tow hitch here but when I inquired with Tesla NZ about the wiring harness for it, I was told they won't sell it to me (even though it is listed as an over the counter part in New Zealand).
Does anyone know of a way I can order the wiring parts, maybe from Tesla in another country?
I don't really want to go aftermarket and splice wires etc.

Hi, maybe you guys can help.
I have recently bought a 2021 model 3 in New Zealand and am wanting to fit a tow hitch.
I can get an aftermarket tow hitch here but when I inquired with Tesla NZ about the wiring harness for it, I was told they won't sell it to me (even though it is listed as an over the counter part in New Zealand).
Does anyone know of a way I can order the wiring parts, maybe from Tesla in another country?
I don't really want to go aftermarket and splice wires etc.
Do you have another SC in New Zealand? How did you make the request? The highest chance of success is to have the specific part number and do a "parts-only" request in the other section in the Service app. This reduces the chances of them asking other questions or mistakenly thinking you also want them to install it (which they will generally refuse if the part is not for your car's VIN).

Do you have another SC in New Zealand? How did you make the request? The highest chance of success is to have the specific part number and do a "parts-only" request in the other section in the Service app. This reduces the chances of them asking other questions or mistakenly thinking you also want them to install it (which they will generally refuse if the part is not for your car's VIN).

I put in a request for the parts with the part numbers in the Tesla app asking for supply only.
They responded by asking why I wanted the wiring parts, I told them it was to install a tow hitch with OEM wiring (In hindsight maybe the truth was a bad idea).
They then called me and left a message to say they can't supply the parts and that they have been meaning to take the parts off the New Zealand website.
I think they have had a few requests about the parts, its a bit frustrating they won't sell them here as all model 3s here are rated to tow.
I think there are maybe three SC in the country, but I am not sure who I was dealing with in the app.
Conversation below.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240613_210111_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20240613_210111_Tesla.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 4
Is there only 1 SKU for the Tesla model 3 lighting module worldwide?

Anyone able to get one of these OEM lighting modules in the US?
Is there a strait forward way to get that piece of hardware to the US from any market that has access to them?

I believe the pinouts should be directly cross compatible from the 13 pin Euro connector to the 4 pin US plug with an adaptor?

I just noticed yesterday that the NZ and AU parts catalog now list a Tow Hitch for model 3.
eg.

#Part NamePart NumberSales RestrictionRepair QuantityOrder in Quantity
1M3 AU/NZ TOW HITCH RETROFIT1806541-00-AOver The Counter11

Is that only for 2024/Highland models or earlier vehicles too? IIRC that 2024/highland have gone the way of the Model Y so can be retrofitted.

If mum says no ask dad and give them a different story (aka keep making requests until they say yes).
That's a good point, I think I have the email address of one of the people in the service department I could try.

Is there only 1 SKU for the Tesla model 3 lighting module worldwide?

Anyone able to get one of these OEM lighting modules in the US?
Is there a strait forward way to get that piece of hardware to the US from any market that has access to them?

I believe the pinouts should be directly cross compatible from the 13 pin Euro connector to the 4 pin US plug with an adaptor?
I cant guarantee it, but while searching for the Trailer ECU (1112581-00-A) for the Model 3 I found it listed for the model X as well.

In the US parts catalogue for the 2021 model X it has this:
1718358092302.png

The 1112581-00-A listed above is the same part number as the Model 3 ECU.
I wonder if the additional parts would suit US trailer wiring, some of the parts might be for electronic trailer brakes as well though.

I just noticed yesterday that the NZ and AU parts catalog now list a Tow Hitch for model 3.
eg.

#Part NamePart NumberSales RestrictionRepair QuantityOrder in Quantity
1M3 AU/NZ TOW HITCH RETROFIT1806541-00-AOver The Counter11
Was that not there before? Ive only really looked in the last few months and it was there when I inquired about the parts.