Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anything need to be changed software side to enable a DIY added OEM trailer wiring module for Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone possibly recognize this Brown plug type?
Believe it is the +12Vdc line passthrough on the Model S&X that can be used for trailer battery charging and for a brake controller where applicable.

If its available publicly, would like to pick up its Male counterpart.

s-l1600-1.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600-2.jpg

Believe it is the +12Vdc line passthrough on the Model S&X that can be used for trailer battery charging and for a brake controller where applicable.

View attachment 1059718
View attachment 1059719View attachment 1059720
Not sure if it will help, but from the thread about diy trailer harness, the connector for the taillights was made by TE Connectivity. Maybe you can find it in their catalog? Tesla also uses Delphi/Aptiv.

Google lens found Porsche used a similar type of connector (although a bit different), for a cooling fan control unit:

The Porsche connector had some embossed text on the connector but not possible to read from pictures. Maybe check if yours also has it for clues of connector manufacturer or model?

Last edited:
Reactions: rotarypower101

from SOP15 Interactive on the Tesla service site's Model S 2021+ "circuit and connector reference" it's maybe an AMP something plug - see the popup for the connector model number. looks about right?

I also attached an image of what it plugs into. one of the wires is powered via a Brake Controller ECU under the control of Body Controller Left (and ultimately the brake pedal I guess), and the other wire is "Trailer_AUX" 12v direct from Body Controller Left.

1.png
2.png

That looks like a strong lead, Thank You!
amp 1-1703543-0
no worries! :)

so if that's the right part, then AMP 1-1355200-1 (from the lower popup) is most likely the "official" other side of your plug. but yup, there could easily be a bunch of equivalent and knock-off versions that'll work just as well...

FWIW Tesla has part numbers for the terminals (1-968857-1) and seals (828905-1) for that 1-1355200-1 connector too. they're here
where "wire size" in the table is in mm^2.

if you're going to run a lot of power through it then using 2.5mm^2 (umm, 14 or 12 gauge?) wire and aiming for the correct large-ish terminals might not be a bad idea. I only mention this 'cos I noticed today that some of the cheaper connector sites assume we're going to use pretty thin wiring... :-/

Reactions: rotarypower101
no worries! :)

so if that's the right part, then AMP 1-1355200-1 (from the lower popup) is most likely the "official" other side of your plug. but yup, there could easily be a bunch of equivalent and knock-off versions that'll work just as well...

FWIW Tesla has part numbers for the terminals (1-968857-1) and seals (828905-1) for that 1-1355200-1 connector too. they're here
where "wire size" in the table is in mm^2.

if you're going to run a lot of power through it then using 2.5mm^2 (umm, 14 or 12 gauge?) wire and aiming for the correct large-ish terminals might not be a bad idea. I only mention this 'cos I noticed today that some of the cheaper connector sites assume we're going to use pretty thin wiring... :-/
Very helpful, thank you!

Targeting a Max of 6.4A@12Vdc.

If you have any background knowledge in connectors and terminals, might you have a recommendation for the specific terminal to select, and gauge of wire to select to pair with it?

A few online calculators say I should be able to get by with as low as 16Ga@~10' of length.
Was planning to match the Tesla harness (guessing ~10-12Ga), but don't have one in hand yet, as I am just speculating and planning for the future project ATM.