Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing a Model 3 RWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless you've got some way to lock the front wheels so they roll straight that would be a very bad idea (I wouldn't rely on the steering wheel column lock). Good chance you'd scrape the front of the car on the ground if you're not careful too.
I haven't seen a non-flatbed tow truck in a while. There are so many AWD vehicles these days you'd think they would be almost extinct.

Unless you've got some way to lock the front wheels so they roll straight that would be a very bad idea (I wouldn't rely on the steering wheel column lock). Good chance you'd scrape the front of the car on the ground if you're not careful too.
I haven't seen a non-flatbed tow truck in a while. There are so many AWD vehicles these days you'd think they would be almost extinct.

I have seen RWD cars towed all of the time with the rear wheels up on dollies. Especially behind RV’s and moving vans. If you are rolling why would the front wheels do anything but go straight, especially with the steering wheel lock?

Last edited:
I have seen RWD cars towed all of the time with the rear wheels up on dollies. Especially behind RV’s and moving vans. If you are rolling why would the front wheels do anything but go straight, especially with the steering wheel lock?
Because the caster is set up for driving forward. Go in reverse and let go of the steering wheel :D
I'm not sure how strong the steering wheel lock is and it would have to be locked perfectly straight or I think you'd be scrubbing the tires.

I tried your experiment with my Prius. I reversed for about a half of a block at 10 mph with hands off of steering wheel. The wheels tracked straight and true!

I will try with my wife’s Pilot the first chance that I get.
Haha. I'll have to try it myself now. Maybe the square profile of the tire has some self centering effect even in reverse. I'll try it with the wheel already turned a bit.

I tried my wife’s Pilot with same results. The wheels tracked straight. If I turned the wheels they stayed turned until I turned the steering wheel.
I think you really want the wheels to self center like they do when you drive forward. Anyway if you do a search everyone says you can't tow a car backwards.
I've got a RWD car so I'm curious if it will turn to one side while driving backwards. I'll have to try...

Reactions: jdcollins5
I think you really want the wheels to self center like they do when you drive forward. Anyway if you do a search everyone says you can't tow a car backwards.
I've got a RWD car so I'm curious if it will turn to one side while driving backwards. I'll have to try...

I googled this and most discussions originated from RV sites. Most discouraged towing a car backwards.

Others said the trick is to loop a rope through the steering wheel and tie it in two places to the seat frame. The rope keeps the wheels straight but gives some flex for going around curves. One guy said that he had towed many RWD cars backwards up and down the east coast by using a rope through the steering wheel with no issues.

I guess the answer that I have been looking for is that it can be done with the rope through the steering wheel to keep the tires straight. For those with RV’s or for moving, it is possible.

Of course the safest method would be the flatbed truck or trailer. I can understand Tesla only recommending this.

Why do you want to tow your Model 3 anyway?
You can rent a flatbed trailer at Uhaul pretty cheaply.

True.

I just wanted to know why towing backwards on a dolly was not recommended. Now I know it can be done.

I do not know that I have ever seen a flatbed trailer at a Uhaul site but I have seen many dollies. I am sure you can schedule a flatbed. In a pinch I now know that I could use the dolly if I had to. Also, if I had an RV I could tow the Model 3 on a dolly,

True.

I just wanted to know why towing backwards on a dolly was not recommended. Now I know it can be done.

I do not know that I have ever seen a flatbed trailer at a Uhaul site but I have seen many dollies. I am sure you can schedule a flatbed. In a pinch I now know that I could use the dolly if I had to. Also, if I had an RV I could tow the Model 3 on a dolly,
That makes sense. I thought you were referring to emergency towing with a tow truck.

One problem I've had with tow dollies is that they sometimes are too narrow and the fenders hit the sides of the car in sharp turns. Been there, done that (unfortunately). The Model 3 is a fairly wide car.

Reactions: jdcollins5