Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing a Model 3 RWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That makes sense. I thought you were referring to emergency towing with a tow truck.

One problem I've had with tow dollies is that they sometimes are too narrow and the fenders hit the sides of the car in sharp turns. Been there, done that (unfortunately). The Model 3 is a fairly wide car.
The Model 3 is also a very heavy car. Most RVers get something that they can dinghy tow (tow on all four wheels). Much easier to take on and off.

Reactions: jdcollins5
The Model 3 is also a very heavy car. Most RVers get something that they can dinghy tow (tow on all four wheels). Much easier to take on and off.
While that is also true in my experience, I've started to see flatbed trailers behind some of those huge bus-type RVs! Much less convenient, as you say. (We have hordes of RV visitors around here in the summer months.)

What is the issue with towing a RWD with the rear wheels lifted but front wheels on the road? I only see flatbed towing which I understand with AWD.
I have towed a Mercedes RWD hundreds of miles behind my RV with no issues. I use the steering anti theft devise that attaches to the brake pedal and the steering wheel. This has been really a good system. What does everyone think of doing that with the rear drive Tesla? We love our AWD and was thinking of buying a RWD to tow behind the RV like that.

I have towed a Mercedes RWD hundreds of miles behind my RV with no issues. I use the steering anti theft devise that attaches to the brake pedal and the steering wheel. This has been really a good system. What does everyone think of doing that with the rear drive Tesla? We love our AWD and was thinking of buying a RWD to tow behind the RV like that.
I have heard of others towing Tesla RWD behind RV’s this way. I do not see a problem with this.

Unless you've got some way to lock the front wheels so they roll straight
best-steering-wheel-locks-no-theft-turn.jpg