Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing capacity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
Has anyone towed anything heavy with a Model S?

This:

Torklift Central | 2012-2015 Tesla Model S EcoHitch Stealth - Tesla - Find Your EcoHitch - RVing and Towing

With a 2" receiver lists the tongue weight at 200 lbs and max 2000 lb towing weight. I need to tow a small dump trailer with about 2000 lbs of sand about 5 miles several times a year. Warranty issues aside, is this just a crazy idea? I watched the video on this install and tow bar is bolted onto the frame with 6 bolts on either side. Would the bolts hold? Would I bend my frame?

Most likely it would bend the hitch frame unless you go it reaaal gentle.

Well, I don't think it would bend the actual hitch frame since it's rated at 2000 lbs. I'm more worried about the Tesla and whether it's frame can handle it.

The only way I'd ever attempt this is if others have been doing this with similar loads and haven't had any issues.

Has anyone towed anything heavy with a Model S?

This:

Torklift Central | 2012-2015 Tesla Model S EcoHitch Stealth - Tesla - Find Your EcoHitch - RVing and Towing

With a 2" receiver lists the tongue weight at 200 lbs and max 2000 lb towing weight. I need to tow a small dump trailer with about 2000 lbs of sand about 5 miles several times a year. Warranty issues aside, is this just a crazy idea? I watched the video on this install and tow bar is bolted onto the frame with 6 bolts on either side. Would the bolts hold? Would I bend my frame?
the tesla is the wrong tool for that job