Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing hitch, why not on performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reserved a Model 3 back in 2016 still not ordered yet, because I've been waiting for the towing hitch option. I discovered with joy today that it finally was available, but I'm a little disappointed that it's not on the performance model. Why is it so? I've literally been just clicks away from ordering the performance model. Only two things holding me back, lack of towing hitch and 20” wheels only…. I could possibly accept the “oversized” rims if I just could get the towing hitch :)

It’s probably related to the 20” wheels or even the oem tire load rating. I’ve seen similar adjustments made on other cars where the performance or sport edition had larger wheels. Otherwise everything is the same.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Reserved a Model 3 back in 2016 still not ordered yet, because I've been waiting for the towing hitch option. I discovered with joy today that it finally was available, but I'm a little disappointed that it's not on the performance model. Why is it so? I've literally been just clicks away from ordering the performance model. Only two things holding me back, lack of towing hitch and 20” wheels only…. I could possibly accept the “oversized” rims if I just could get the towing hitch :)
Something about the tires load rating.

EDIT: beaten by @TORQU3

• Funny
Reactions: TORQU3
Performance model also rides a little lower. Perhaps was unable to get approval from Governmental agencies for this model.

In the states, many of the highest performance versions of other manufacturers also do not come with tow hitches. (HellCat, Demon, Shelby, Ferrari, Lambo, etc.

I figured it was the 20" tires, lowered suspension, and warranty concerns. I am really disappointed and I was counting on the tow rating so I could receive the "tow mode" software and warranty coverage. Especially, since the first spy photo was a Performance Model 3 from last July.

https://electrek.co/2018/07/31/tesla-model-3-towing-capacity/

I was waiting to see if I can get the manufacturer blessing before I go rogue and buy an EcoHitch. I guess I will be going rogue and buying an EcoHitch since that I expect will be a better and cheaper solution than Tesla's version minus the "Tow Mode" software.

If load index on the 20" wheels is a problem, maybe the Chinese 19" power sports wheels is a solution? By the way are there any evidence that these wheels are delivered to customers in China?

Added power on the performance version should not be a problem. I believe the car is entering “tow-mode” when attaching a trailer. In comparison I’ve seen that chill mode on the regular AWD and the P puts down almost the same amount of power.

1cm/0.4inch lower ride height on the performance is not much. Could that require a slightly different design on the attach point if the tow hitch was to be installed on a P?

I just ordered ”base performance” model. Factory installed tow hitch and 19” wheels. Perfect in crural area I live in.

Dealer adviced that you can’t order these to be made for you. Only inventory cars. This one comes from Holland.