Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing your Tesla due to a breakdown or a dead battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ignoring the potential damage to the car, voiding of warranty issue.
In order for the regenerative braking to work the car would need to be in drive.
So if it was so flat (zero miles\Km) it may not go into drive and release the e-brake.
If it had a few miles left then it would go into drive but we don't know how it would react if it was pulled along.
It may simply assume it's rolling down a hill and allow it but that's an unknown and I don't think anyone's willing to try it.
Assuming that it can be pulled along safely you could probably charge it with regeneration, but its pure speculation.
Much better to put it in e-brake off and power down state and tow it to a plug to be charged.

It's also been proven possible in the Prius. It requires a driver and the car needs to be in drive, but it will charge. The big problem with the Model S is that there isn't any convenient place to pull from. You would have to pull from the suspension because if you tried to pull from the bumper it would just come off.

I can not imagine that the S is meant to take regen for extremely great distances at great speed. I know that it will only accept so much regen and disperse extra kinetic energy that is not captured, but i would be concerned that I could do damage...

Not to mention all the other risks...

or the fact that it is EXTREMELY inefficient way to charge...

I can not imagine that the S is meant to take regen for extremely great distances at great speed. I know that it will only accept so much regen and disperse extra kinetic energy that is not captured, but i would be concerned that I could do damage...

Not to mention all the other risks...

or the fact that it is EXTREMELY inefficient way to charge...
The car will protect itself. If things heat up it will decrease the regen amount. You will not hurt the car this way unless you break something in the actual towing process - hooking to the wrong thing or running into the tow vehicle .

Of course it's inefficient and yes it's dangerous. This is an emergency thing - if you're going to need a tow anyway because you're out of juice and you're close to a charge point you could use this method to get yourself a few miles. No one is suggesting to use this instead of plugging in at home.

I highly recommend not parking illegally or letting your meter expire. "Siri, remind me in 4 hours to add money to the meter"

I will admit to parking illegally at times, most of the time due to lack of quarters, or a proper paid lot. I have paid the parking tickets I have gotten on time.

But the only time my car has been towed is when it was parked LEGALLY in my apartment complex. $250 and half a blown Friday later I finally had my car back. Turns out the apartment complex and the tow people have an arrangement where the tow people can just haul away cars that they 'think' are not supposed to be there. The tow company didn't help at all, and my apartment complex didn't help either except to say "Sorry, here is a sticker that should prevent this from happening in the future." Why didn't I get that to begin with!?!?!?!

I was beyond pissed for the remainder of my lease.

I will admit to parking illegally at times, most of the time due to lack of quarters, or a proper paid lot. I have paid the parking tickets I have gotten on time.

But the only time my car has been towed is when it was parked LEGALLY in my apartment complex. $250 and half a blown Friday later I finally had my car back. Turns out the apartment complex and the tow people have an arrangement where the tow people can just haul away cars that they 'think' are not supposed to be there. The tow company didn't help at all, and my apartment complex didn't help either except to say "Sorry, here is a sticker that should prevent this from happening in the future." Why didn't I get that to begin with!?!?!?!

I was beyond pissed for the remainder of my lease.
My thoughts exactly. Now imagine that it voided the warranty on your $100,000 car.