Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toyota impressed with Model Y after tear down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having this realization now shows how far behind Toyota really is.
I've said it many times, Tesla's engineering is generations ahead of anyone else and it's such a different way of thinking.
But that's not new. If I, as a consumer, observe this.
Legacy makers have known this a long time, as they tear down competitors products all the time. I think ego kept them complacent for too long.
VW learned the hard way how hard the transition is. They basically threw away their first attempt at a EV factory- that was a billions of euros learning curve.
Toyota is in deep doodoo with EV's.
Where Tesla is behind is in body and interior. But people buy the whole package and Tesla's is just superior.

With Tesla adopting CCS, I don't know what the future holds for Supercharging and compatibility but it doesn't sound good.
Things will tilt in favor of legacy brands soon. Many consumers still trust legacy nameplates.

The quote from an Electrek article was,
Some Toyota executives who participated in the teardown talked to Automotive News, and one of them called Tesla’s electric SUV a “work of art”
The Japanese automaker appears to be particularly impressed with the simplicity of Tesla’s vehicle architecture and powertrain.

This quote says a lot.

Source,
Tesla Model Y is a ‘work of art,’ says Toyota after tearing it down

Last edited:
I drive A 2023 MYP. My wife has a 2021 Prius prime. She won’t ditch ice for a EV yet. it’s nights and day comparison. dont get me started on Toyota app! lol

before the MY, I had two sienna, 4 prius and A tacoma. Sold them all over the years. Disappointed on Toyota future. without tesla, I’m sure I’ll keep buying Toyota. Haha

wasn’t there a stats last week, consumers are trading in their Toyota and Honda for a tesla? u know what, I believe them!

It’s just crazy to think, took Toyota how many years to tear down a MY! U would think, as a competitor, that’s the first thing u would do! before u even consider building ur crappy BZ4X. Can’t even keep their wheels on. What A garbage EV, I test drove one last month. Just to see what Toyota came out with. I lost hope in the company. A bunch of old farts.

they must be talking about the mechanical bits cuz the interior is absolutely shoddily put together
Mechanical, engineering, software/hardware integration, manufacturing design.
Tesla coachwork is, obviously, not as high a priority. Tesla focuses on cost-cutting and efficient production.

Toyota's coachwork is second to none. Their halo vehicles are supreme in assembly, attention to detail, materials... untouchable.
Toyota is bottom rung in EV's though. They are trying to push hybrids while they scramble to catch up.

Reactions: yellowr6
toyota really didn’t think EV would take off this quick! They’re holding onto their hybrid a bit too long and also banking on fuel cell and hydrogen. just follow china and Europe, toyota is in deep *sugar*. Just liked all legacy auto trying to figure this EV out.