Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS Failure issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2013 model s and the tpms issue keeps coming no matter how many times i reset it. When i reset it it goes away and appears back again after some time. Anyone know how much it will cost to fix this. Or if i can fix it without spending money? Also im curious to why in settings i can set to view my tires at psi but i cant actually view my tires psi?

I had a 13 and the TPMS system failed. Tesla replaced it with the new system that shows the tire pressure at each wheel. It’s much better - mine was replaced under extended warranty but believe the cost would have been about $1k.

it is possible you just have a dead sensor in one wheel. the batteries only last 4 years or so of normal use so that is the first and easiest possibility. I believe any tyre shop should be able to help diagnose a dead one and replace one that's a problem, the sensors are standard Baolong ones so anywhere should be able to get one that works. There is lots of info on this forum about it, so have a good search/read.
If it is not that, then it may be the antenna which collects the signals from all 4. these do fail (mine also did). You then have 2 options:
1. find a salvage antenna and swap it out yourself. there are a few around and when I checked they were $70 ish so not bad.
2. get Tesla to do the retrofit/upgrade to the newer Continental system. this will be $1200-1400 ish, but it is a better system and you will be able to see individual tyre pressure readouts on your dash (the old system just gives you a warning when one is low) so it's an improvement, but whether it's worth the money is your call.
Tesla won't repair your old system - it's policy to only offer the upgrade, so if you go for option #1, you'll have to go elsewhere.
I did #2, and I'm glad to have the pressure readouts but realistically it's difficult to justify the extra money, I was in a squeeze with my MOT (annual safety test, which non-functioning TPMS would cause to fail) due imminently and no time to source/fit a replacement antenna, so had to reluctantly go with the upgrade.