Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS malfunction after software update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2022 ModelY LR. Updated to software version 2022.4.5 and immediately on reboot one of the TPMS is not working. Car says flat tire (obviously not) and then goes on to say Tire Pressure Monitoring System Fault. I have rebooted the computer, tried to drive around a bit, checked air pressure and even done factory reset. Nothing helps. Got a service appointment for March. In the mean time would love to hear any suggestions regarding how to resolve this. I dont see any software button to recalibrate TPMS. Note: only 1 out of 4 TPMS not working. Rest fine.

You could try lowering the air in the tire with the non-responding TPMS sensor below 35 PSI, then add air to the tire. This may trigger a low tire pressure warning. Refill the tire to the recommended tire pressure (42 PSI).

Tesla states that powered USB devices, i.e. powered USB hubs can interfere with the TPMS.

Reactions: Pianewman
Unfortunately, this didnt help. Even on letting air out there was no low pressure indicator.The psi indicator on passenger side front wheel is showing Red -- lines. There is no number at all. Drove around 10 miles(20minutes) and that didnt reset the sensor in any way.

The last thing to try before waiting for service would be to disconnect the 12V battery following the procedure for changing out the 12V battery. Open the hood. Then unplug the high voltage relay connector located, accessible under the rear passenger seat cushion. (Be sure to leave the rear passenger window lowered and the rear passenger door open or you could be locked out.) Then proceed with disconnecting the negative lead of the 12V battery. Wait ~10 minutes before reconnecting the 12V battery negative lead and finally the relay connector and put back the rear seat cushion.

The non-functional TPMS sensor is not critical to the operation of the Tesla Model Y. I would just wait for the service appointment. You can always check the tire pressure using a tire pressure gauge.

Sensors go bad. Its not a Tesla thing, happens on all cars. THats most likely whats wrong. We didn't used to have these and would have to manually check tire pressure occasionally, oh the horror lol. Should be covered under warranty. But these will all go bad eventually over time, out of warranty so be prepared to have them replaced if you keep the car for more than 5-6 years. 5-7 is expected life on the sensors. Some go longer, some crap out early.

It's highly unlikely your sensor waited until the moment there was an update to "crap out early". Sensors are very robust, and generally last a long time. What it could be is the radio sending unit . Those DO occasionally "crap out". Usually, when you get an error message from the TPMS system saying there's a fault, it's the sender, not the sensor. This used to be a big problem with these systems.

Last edited:
I have a 2020 Tesla S but the TPMS is definitely wonky. A few times this year already, one or two of the tires show orange numbers and the tire symbol on the display is also orange. However, the tire pressure is fine. I reset the TPMS system and after driving some miles, the alerts went away; but they came back a month or so later. Most recently, I did not bother to reset and the alerts went away after several days. It's been like this for at least six months. If it was just a bad sensor, I don't know it would fix itself and then go bad a month later.

I have a 2020 Tesla S but the TPMS is definitely wonky. A few times this year already, one or two of the tires show orange numbers and the tire symbol on the display is also orange. However, the tire pressure is fine. I reset the TPMS system and after driving some miles, the alerts went away; but they came back a month or so later. Most recently, I did not bother to reset and the alerts went away after several days. It's been like this for at least six months. If it was just a bad sensor, I don't know it would fix itself and then go bad a month later.
Open a service request via the Tesla app, request that Tesla service to replace the TPMS sensor under the warranty. Take a photo of the screen warning the next time the warning message is displayed so you can attach the photo to the service request.

I do have a service appointment. The first time I scheduled one, they cancelled it and said their diagnostics show nothing. I sent them the photo. They rescheduled it, but likely TPMS will be fine the day of the service visit. And it is usually two tires showing the orange numbers so two sensors?

I do have a service appointment. The first time I scheduled one, they cancelled it and said their diagnostics show nothing. I sent them the photo. They rescheduled it, but likely TPMS will be fine the day of the service visit. And it is usually two tires showing the orange numbers so two sensors?
It could be the TPMS receiver in the vehicle. In the Tesla Model Y the TPMS uses Bluetooth. The Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual cautions that powered USB devices such as powered USB hubs can interfere with the TPMS.

Currently having this problem in a rented 2021 Altima. A cool night in Florida triggered a one low pressure sensor. Added air to 32lbs but the light has still not turned off. The tire pressure dash display even rose to 28lbs from 26lbs as the day warmed up.
*sugar* happens with many vehicles :(

If rebooting the car completely doesn't clear it, I think you need to request service on that. You can try moving pressure to 45 for each tire as measured by external device but if that does not clear then it sounds like a service call is required.