Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS woes every few updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have read through the other GPS posts and am still searching for a solution.

My GPS on my 21’ Plaid will work perfectly for months then immediately after an update it does not work. It then malfunctions until the next update by showing my vehicle 100-200 feet to the left of actual location rendering the gps useless.

I have spoke with Tesla about it before and they want to replace the GPS antenna. I have seen numerous threads on here of that not solving the issue. I have a software issue that is directly related to the updates. Is there any fix for this besides waiting a month and hoping another update resolves it?

If it were a software updatimg issue, that thousands of others get the same update, more would see the problem too. It could be the GPS antenna or the GPS component in the MCU is faulty. Since it appears from your comments it is always off the same certain amount, maybe there is a calibration for the GPS that we owners do not have access to. Let them fix it

Reactions: Eatsleepboost
I have the same issue on my 2020 Model 3. I got it right when I got back from renting a Tesla in LA. I think the timing was just a fluke. However I also got the latest version just before my trip. They want mobile service to come out and take a look but I am out of warranty now, so I kind of want to wait a software version or two before I start changing hardware.

Sometimes its spot on, other times its a yo-yo of rerouting. The Orange triangle is locked in to where I am, the computer though thinks I am a good 50-100 feet to the left.

I had this issue with my Model 3, so I'm not certain if the situation is the same with the Model S.

For 2 years my navigation was dead on, then came the update that enabled the cabin camera and BOOM... the car was intermittently displaying as driving on the side of the road (worse actually, it would've been driving through houses and on front lawns). It was generally accurate, just maybe 15 feet offset from it's actual position... and again this was an intermittent issue.

I read forum posts from a few owners confirming that they had similar issues and that it was caused by EMI (electromagnetic interference) from the camera wiring.

The GPS antenna in your car needs a signal from a GPS satellite (three, actually). These satellites are NOT geostationary, so they're in motion at all times. Additionally, your car is turning in various directions at all times.

Now add one wire next to your GPS antenna that adds a bit of noise (radio interference) to the mix. What this does is that sometimes, your GPS antenna is able to get signals from 3 or more satellites, but all it takes is for you to turn (or one of the satellites to move) whereby the camera wire is *between* your GPS antenna and a satellite and BAM!... the car thinks it's 20 feet further west than it actually is.

I pointed the service center at a forum post here where an owner confirmed that his service center resolved the issue by replacing the camera, but they replaced my GPS antenna and said they confirmed it was fixed. Picked up the car, not fixed. My guess is that they tested it in the parking lot, saw the offset issue, replaced the GPS antenna, tested again and the offset was gone. BUT... shuffling the wires around would certainly change the "direction" of the problem.

On my second visit, they replaced the camera. STILL didn't fix it. 1.5 hours each way plus wait time. Zzzzzz.

Third time's the charm! On my third visit they replaced the wiring harness. Bingo. Problem solved.

Now I'm not saying it's always the wiring harness (or even which harness), perhaps for your situation it's different... but for me, that did the trick. If this problem began after they enabled the cabin camera though, then most certainly that's what's causing it (EMI from a cabin camera or it's wiring).

The symptom was that not only was the car intermittently offset from it's real-world position, but the nav directions would constantly tell me to "turn right onto main street", "turn right onto main street" each time I crossed a side street (I was already on main street). When this occurred, it made the navigation very difficult to trust. Not so bad when you're at home and know your way around. Very bad when you go out of town to a large city with a confusing network of roads.

Even if you're out of warranty, I would strongly suggest you let them know this started when the cabin camera was enabled (if that's true) and press for this to be covered.

I hope this helps. Good luck!!

My GPS on my 21’ Plaid will work perfectly for months then immediately after an update it does not work. It then malfunctions until the next update by showing my vehicle 100-200 feet to the left of actual location rendering the gps useless.

Just want to add... the service center *did* push an update to my car when I first reported this issue. It made me think perhaps they were trying to find a software workaround that would prevent the company from having to replace a boatload of cameras and/or wiring.

Your issue sounds a little more confusing since it seems to be happening on and off with updates. Have you tried rebooting after installing the updates?

Reactions: Eatsleepboost
I tend to have bad service in the area I live so I did a reset a few miles from home and the gps worked properly about a half hour later and has been fine since for a week now. It’s like I get a bad week once a very couple months. Besides that it is perfect.