Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's another question:

I noticed they don't give a reading until you start moving, That makes sense though because they must need some form of battery and it would run down quickly if it was always broadcasting, so I'm assuming they have some kind of on/off switch that uses centrifugal force to activate the transmitter

Is that right?

At $300 for a set, I'm just running without them on my set of Winter Tires. It affects nothing other than the warning on the screen and I've driven alot of miles in my life long before these things were invented. I can check my tires for quite a few times for $300. Now if my wife can't get over the warning on the dash, I'll be buying a set sooner than later.

Here's another question:

I noticed they don't give a reading until you start moving, That makes sense though because they must need some form of battery and it would run down quickly if it was always broadcasting, so I'm assuming they have some kind of on/off switch that uses centrifugal force to activate the transmitter

Is that right?
Correct. The Tesla TPMS sensor will go into a suspended mode (sleep mode) when the vehicle is not moving. You need to drive a short distance, perhaps 1/10 of a mile, before the TPMS wake up and begin transmitting. One downside is you can't use the TPMS readout as you adjust tire pressure. In my experience the TPMS go to sleep soon after shifting to park so there is no way to add air to the tire while checking the Tire Pressure readout on the Tesla screen. (As I recall Nissan was the first to add a feature that will softly, briefly honk the horn as air is added to the tire so you know when the proper tire pressure as has been reached. This is especially helpful at night when reading a tire pressure gauge would require a flashlight and three hands.)