Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS reset on V10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same sensors worked 6 months ago. Only change was version 10. My 2012 car probably doesn’t have the correct hardware to read GEN 2 sensors if they are that new. definitely frustrating.

Ahh, ok, didn't realize you were referring to the version 1 sensors nor that they just stopped working on their own after the update. Was thinking you changed out the wheels and new ones didn't work. For that, I would call Tesla. Appears they goofed when it comes to V1 sensors with the V10 update. So would assume that's something that will be fixed with a future bug update sent to the car. They're probably already aware, but, calling them will make sure it's been brought to their attention. Best of luck in getting it resolved.

Changing wheel size does not help. I just went to a tyre centre to check my new sensors, they were all ok and the correct type for a 2013 model S. But they cannot reset them to the car, we really need the reset button on the screen for that. So I probably will have the error message for the rest of the cars life :-(

Changing wheel size does not help. I just went to a tyre centre to check my new sensors, they were all ok and the correct type for a 2013 model S. But they cannot reset them to the car, we really need the reset button on the screen for that. So I probably will have the error message for the rest of the cars life :-(

Or, you can call Tesla and/or schedule a service appointment and have them reset them.

@Zapped. I had the same issue. Turns out I did originally have the wrong sensors. I tried resetting them 100 times hoping they would be read by the car. Finally gave up and ordered the correct sensors. Put them in. At first, same thing. Was about ready to drop the car off of a cliff after all I had been through with getting my wheels done. But, drove about 2 miles and FINALLY, they picked up the new sensors.

Point being, if it's not reading them, could be the wrong sensors. Probably the wrong sensors. If you have one of your stock wheels, try putting it on the car, even just one will answer the question. Drive for a couple of miles and see if it reads the old wheel. If it does, chances are, they gave you the wrong sensors. Unfortunately, it happens as did with my car. Everything is all good now.

@jdw, I noticed the same thing. Set my pressures to 48 psi and the car shows 44-45 psi. Was thinking maybe the tire gauge used to fill the tires was off, but now you have me thinking that maybe it's the sensors? I guess could just be coincidence, but certainly possible that the cheap air pressure gauges at a gas station or tire shop could be off on a regular basis. I have a professional gauge that is calibrated. Will have to bring it home and check it against those and report back.

@hemants, you probably already tried it, but unlike with the previous TPMS reset option that could be done while driving, to reset the wheels, because the car fully reboots, the car has to be stopped and in park for you to be able to change the wheel type and force the TPMS reset. I hope Tesla will correct this and return the simple option of just resetting the TPMS sensors again. Hopefully just an oversight rather than having to go through whole song and dance of changing wheel types for no reason.

Hope that helps. The above is based on my personal experience and what worked for me. Of course, every situation and scenario could be different.

@mcs, didn't think of the original version of TPMS's where they didn't actually show pressures. I had them on my 2013, but it's been a while, so can't offer any suggestions on that one. Best I can suggest is the same recommendation I had for @Zapped above. Be sure you have the correct sensors. I learned through this process, that most outside wheel shops and tire shops have no clue when it comes to a Tesla. I had to trial and error everything myself and then provide them with the details of how to do it.

Was sent the wrong sensors, wrong size valve stems that smacked the suspension, etc. Wasn't fun. After about a month and a half, finally everything is working as it should.

@kizamybute' -
As others have noted, nothing has been changed on my part. I have the same tires, with the same sensors that worked several months ago. The only change is that we have had a software "upgrade". I think it is unacceptable that the only available fix is to make an appointment at a service center. I don't live near a service center, my vehicle is outside of the traditional warranty and I am busy.

Sorry to hear it. Hopefully Tesla will get enough complaints over this to fix it with a software update in the near future. Unfortunately, Tesla likely isn't doing much testing on pre 2014 cars, yet send the updates to them. I guess that's good and bad. Cool to still get at least some near features on a 5+ year old car, but bad when they apparently don't make sure all of the new updates are compatible with older cars.

I'd at least call Tesla. Chances are, they've received other complaints. So they might have a fix for you that could be done without taking the car. Probably wishful thinking, but with Tesla, it's certainly possible. They might even be able to send a fix to your car specifically. Worth a try.

Best of luck in getting it resolved

I'm really confused. Bought a set of 20" wheels and Sotozero snow tires from Tire Rack and had them put on last night on my 2015 MSP90D. Didn't do anything special. Reading tire pressure as usual. Didn't have to drive around or do anything. All works flawlessly. How can it be that mine works and others don't?

Changing the wheel setting automatically reboots both computers on my 2012 Model S. It also turns off the Regen, Traction control and Stability control (all 3 messages cycle thru ). The car stays in this state until it is shut off ( I walk away with the key) and is restarted.( I re-enter the car)
The TPMS failed message never goes away. The tire shop says all sensors are fine and have power. Service call to TESLA is next.

I´ve exactly the same problem, did you call to tesla.. any news

Changing the wheel setting automatically reboots both computers on my 2012 Model S. It also turns off the Regen, Traction control and Stability control (all 3 messages cycle thru ). The car stays in this state until it is shut off ( I walk away with the key) and is restarted.( I re-enter the car)
The TPMS failed message never goes away. The tire shop says all sensors are fine and have power. Service call to TESLA is next.

I've exactly the same problem, did you call to tesla.. any news
I also get the message "Error: Tyre pressure control system" every time I drive.
But this message disappears after a few minutes.
...will be swap to winter tires today with third party TPMS which are working fine last year.

Same sensors worked 6 months ago. Only change was version 10. My 2012 car probably doesn’t have the correct hardware to read GEN 2 sensors if they are that new. definitely frustrating.

Same for me since V10 was forced on my pre ap s85, all sensors do not read or just one, or a couple at random and will not read again till I reboot or park and drive again.

No changes to tires and batteries are all a year old at most for the tpms set. Mine are the upgraded Gen2 that show the pressure at each wheel.

My S is a 2013 and I have the old sensors. Put on my winter tires yesterday and I also have no TPMS reset button on V10. As a result of the lack of a reset button, the car disables traction control too, since it thinks the tire pressure might be low. Gee Tesla, way to go and really break the software. Not only do you break it, but you put our winter driving lives in danger by disabling traction control. Thanks. Please issue a software fix ASAP.

Scheduled an appointment with the app & told them to push to me the software update to fix this. I also said won't be coming in for the appointment that this dumb app is forcing me to make when I request service. Just push the software update with the TPMS reset button to my car.

Hey everyone, we really need to jump on Tesla together on this one. I booked an appointment at the service center in Calgary and the manager (who has only been there for 6 months) was super rude telling me we always had come to the service center to reset our sensors and that there was never a reset button! I finally convinced him that it existed and that I never had to add the TPMS sensors to the ECU.

He has zero credibility with me, but he claims the TPMS module can store up to 8 tire sensor codes. What I think happens is when we hit "reset TPMS", it purge the memory on the module and invoke a learning mode. We now no longer have that since the "wheel configuration" feature that was added the last month of v9 firmware (right before v10). With v2 sensors, the "Reset TPMS" was unnecessary as the v2 module auto detects and resets. In the testing, Tesla forgot about us v1 TPMS users.

I tweeted Elon about this: skrenes on Twitter

I sent the same message to Tesla just now. Please retweet my tweet AND sign into My Tesla and write the same thing. If we all do this ASAP, we may actually get on their radar. Only about 8% of the fleet has v1 and it's shrinking dramatically every day.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
Hey everyone, we really need to jump on Tesla together on this one. I booked an appointment at the service center in Calgary and the manager (who has only been there for 6 months) was super rude telling me we always had come to the service center to reset our sensors and that there was never a reset button! I finally convinced him that it existed and that I never had to add the TPMS sensors to the ECU.

He has zero credibility with me, but he claims the TPMS module can store up to 8 tire sensor codes. What I think happens is when we hit "reset TPMS", it purge the memory on the module and invoke a learning mode. We now no longer have that since the "wheel configuration" feature that was added the last month of v9 firmware (right before v10). With v2 sensors, the "Reset TPMS" was unnecessary as the v2 module auto detects and resets. In the testing, Tesla forgot about us v1 TPMS users.

I tweeted Elon about this: skrenes on Twitter

I sent the same message to Tesla just now. Please retweet my tweet AND sign into My Tesla and write the same thing. If we all do this ASAP, we may actually get on their radar. Only about 8% of the fleet has v1 and it's shrinking dramatically every day.

Retweeted, and advised Vancouver Service. Unbelievable that Calgary didn't know about the reset button - been using it for 6 years!
Resetting_TPMS_Sensor_1.png

Last edited: