Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS reset on V10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While @thefortunes may be 100% correct about future upgrades by Tesla, given the extreme variations between Service Center "Give A S..t" (better know as GAS) and the complete disarray at Tesla the prospects for a reliable fix is pretty remote.

As an intermediate fix, FWIW, I was fortunate enough to have my original, yet dying sensors to pull the codes from. So I am in the process of recoding my Baolong replacement sensors to match the original ID codes, the idea being that the car will see the 4 ID codes it is used to seeing and not know the difference. And yes the Sensor IDs can be reprogrammed, just depends on the make of the sensor as to which tool must be used... yet another impediment admittedly. Interestingly, the IDs of three of my four sensors are exactly the same, the fourth one no doubt the result of a replacement at some point in time. Because GEN1 does not display individual tire pressures I surmise that the IDs can all be the same or all different, they just need to match what is stored in the vehicles ECU since that ECU is no longer able to relearn new codes (at least for a while)

I will follow up when I have the replacement sensors with the original codes installed.

2013 P85+
No "future upgrade" required. As I posted (but you must have missed) there is a solution NOW.

1) Schedule a service appointment for TPMS issues
2) When contacted, quote that there is a "ticket" for this as a known issue and they can perform an OTA "TPMS Reset"
3) Drive a mile (maybe 2) and wait for the "TPMS Reset Completed" message to appear

No "future upgrade" required. As I posted (but you must have missed) there is a solution NOW.

2) When contacted, quote that there is a "ticket" for this as a known issue and they can perform an OTA "TPMS Reset"
3) Drive a mile (maybe 2) and wait for the "TPMS Reset Completed" message to appear

I am putting this to the test, as we speak:

1. Entered the service appointment request with the TPMS issue
2. Ranger service scheduled for Monday morning
3. Upon further review by Tesla, I will need to come to the Service Center (for the same time on Monday morning). The virtual service team will be reaching out if they need more information.

Let's hope I get the same resolution @thefortunes was able to unlock.

I am putting this to the test, as we speak:

1. Entered the service appointment request with the TPMS issue
2. Ranger service scheduled for Monday morning
3. Upon further review by Tesla, I will need to come to the Service Center (for the same time on Monday morning). The virtual service team will be reaching out if they need more information.

Let's hope I get the same resolution @thefortunes was able to unlock.
You should be able to get it done there, but really was no need. They CAN DO IT REMOTELY.

March 2014 P85, so definitely a Gen 1 system. Winter tires/wheels/sensors were purchased as a set from TireRack 2 years ago (October 2017). Firmware is 2019.36.2.7. I’ve been trying all the tricks posted here (drive further, change wheel type, rinse, repeat) since putting them on the car Nov 1 with no luck.

Finally went to the local tire shop on Thursday to have those 2-year old sensors checked and, lo and behold, one was dead and the other three were on life support. I had the tech replace the sensors with a set he said were compatible - he mentioned using the OBD port as part of the process, but no details about that.

The error message continued during the drive home - about 13 miles. The next day, I changed the wheel type before driving off just to see if that made any difference - and the “TPMS Reset Complete” dialog appeared within a mile and a half. Based on the distance, I’d guess that it was driving ~15 miles that did the job rather than the wheel type change.

I’ll post the specifics about the replacement sensors once I get the invoice, as well as any special procedures that were followed (e.g. cloning the IDs) but the message here is:

Relatively “young” sensors can fail, so get them checked if you’re having this issue. Makes me wonder if TireRack has a back stock of the older sensors whose battery life is ticking down...
Following up with the details:
  • The 4 replacement sensors are listed as “MX-AUTEL TPMS SENSOR” on the invoice
  • I talked to the tech about what steps he performed to program the sensor, and he responded “I just told the programmer tool that it was a Tesla” - end of story.
    • I specifically asked about cloning (to see what he’d say) and he said “you can’t clone a dead sensor”.
(For what it’s worth, there was no potential for cloning in my case anyway since he only had access to my winter wheel set.)

@snellenr that is very encouraging information. So I am guessing that his programming tool connected to the OBD port and had the ability to tell the ECU to relearn the new sensor IDs. To this point I have been under the impression that was a Tesla only tool. Would be nice to know what kind of programming tool he used if that is possible. For the record ours is a Tech Smart (powered by Ateq) T46000 and while it has the Tesla Model S listed in it as well as the Baolong sensors, it will not communicate with the ECU in the car.

As regards cloning dead sensors that is correct IF they are completely dead. However if they are too weak to communicate with the car (as mine are) they still might have enough juice left to to communicate on the bench with the programming tool right next to it. But as you say if he only had access to your replacement wheels then he didn't have current functioning codes to clone.

Thanks for the input that is very helpful!

Going through this same issue. I purchased the Gen 1 ITM sensors from Tire Nation on eBay. I didn't know about the cloning process before I had them installed, and now I don't have the original sensors. I've scheduled a service appointment with Tesla, and am hoping they can do the remote reset. I miss the days when you could just call and get someone on the phone to do remote troubleshooting before making an appointment.

I also notified Tire Nation of the issue, so hopefully they'll update their eBay listing to make people aware that they should have their installer do the cloning process when having them installed.

TESLA service looked at my 2012 Model S today. Said the TPMS battery reading is too low on 1 of the sensors which causes the system to report a fail. (2.5 V instead of 3 V )

He said the car would need to be reprogrammed when I switch between summer and winter tires/wheels. Never thought to ask him about cloning sensors.

Can anyone comment about cloning between manufacturers (i.e. BAO LONG to Schrader ) ?

----------------------------------------
Just found this, very informative
TPMS

Last edited:

Hello-

It turns out that I am facing this exact issue this week, and I found this thread to be excellent.

In short- I have a Ms 85 built 6/2014 with the Balong system. I dwitched wheels, and no resent button.

I had mobile service out this morning, and they stated that thee is no OTA update for there-set button, EVERYTHING had to be re-programmed. I also just spent a lot of time on the toll free number, and after litterally 40 minutes, they have stated that there is not such thing as an OTA update for a TPMS RESET.

However, as you stated- it happened.

Question: Since I cannot see anything about your car or service, I'm wondering if you could contact Tesla Service and just ask how it was described in your records- it might help all of us a lot if we could refer to something very specific.

I know this requires a call, and on hold, but it might help a lot of us who are getting a well intentioned "run around".

Thanks

Hello-

It turns out that I am facing this exact issue this week, and I found this thread to be excellent.

In short- I have a Ms 85 built 6/2014 with the Balong system. I dwitched wheels, and no resent button.

I had mobile service out this morning, and they stated that thee is no OTA update for there-set button, EVERYTHING had to be re-programmed. I also just spent a lot of time on the toll free number, and after litterally 40 minutes, they have stated that there is not such thing as an OTA update for a TPMS RESET.

However, as you stated- it happened.

Question: Since I cannot see anything about your car or service, I'm wondering if you could contact Tesla Service and just ask how it was described in your records- it might help all of us a lot if we could refer to something very specific.

I know this requires a call, and on hold, but it might help a lot of us who are getting a well intentioned "run around".

Thanks
It is not an OTA update - they triggered the relearn for the TPMS remotely.

They can look up the service on VIN P08130.

TPMS Service.png

While @thefortunes may be 100% correct about future upgrades by Tesla, given the extreme variations between Service Center "Give A S..t" (better know as GAS) and the complete disarray at Tesla the prospects for a reliable fix is pretty remote.

As an intermediate fix, FWIW, I was fortunate enough to have my original, yet dying sensors to pull the codes from. So I am in the process of recoding my Baolong replacement sensors to match the original ID codes, the idea being that the car will see the 4 ID codes it is used to seeing and not know the difference. And yes the Sensor IDs can be reprogrammed, just depends on the make of the sensor as to which tool must be used... yet another impediment admittedly. Interestingly, the IDs of three of my four sensors are exactly the same, the fourth one no doubt the result of a replacement at some point in time. Because GEN1 does not display individual tire pressures I surmise that the IDs can all be the same or all different, they just need to match what is stored in the vehicles ECU since that ECU is no longer able to relearn new codes (at least for a while)

I will follow up when I have the replacement sensors with the original codes installed.

2013 P85+

SUCCESS!! 2013P85+. I successfully cloned 4 new ITM sensors with the ID codes from the existing sensors and the TPMS fault went away.

A couple of notes. The Baolong sensors actually have the ID code (8 character alphanumeric) printed on the sensor. So if you have one dead sensor and three weak or still working ones you can clone the good ones wirelessly and then manually input the code of the dead sensor into the programmer and program the other sensor. In retrospect I could have replaced just the dead sensor but until I obtained the ITM programmer that allows for manually entering the code to program the sensor I was stuck. At any rate I now have four fresh sensors. A big shout out to the folks at ITM for helping me out with this. Frankly I could never get Tesla to respond to my mobile service request, let alone walk me through the process.

So in summary ITM makes a Baolong replacement sensor for the GEN1 system that allows you to either electronically or manually clone the dead original Tesla sensor and program the replacement ITM sensor. As long as the car sees the 4 ID codes it had before it does not need to relearn new codes. Also, no need to access the OBD port with this method.

• Informative
Reactions: DFibRL8R
For those of you who are still having this problem...

I have a 2013 S85 with the Gen1 system and sensors (no PSI readout).

I have 2 sets of tires (summer and winter).

When I switched to winter tires this year I obviously had TPMS errors since there was no "reset" button to force the car to look for new TPMS.

After scheduling service a couple times and waiting a couple weeks for a solution, they finally contacted me and WERE ABLE TO REMOTELY (I.E. OTA) PUT THE CAR INTO THE TPMS RESET MODE. I then drove a mile or so and got a message "TPMS Reset Completed."

No issues since then (2 weeks ago).

There now is a "ticket" in Tesla's system about this issue and if you contact service they will be able to do this remotely. You do NOT need to go to a service center or pay anything.

They are also "planning to fix this" in a future software release.

You're welcome. ;)

What service center did you contact? My closest service center is in Raleigh, and they insist this can't be done remotely. They want to charge me to have this done at the service center. I even sent them links to this thread and the service record you posted.

What service center did you contact? My closest service center is in Raleigh, and they insist this can't be done remotely. They want to charge me to have this done at the service center. I even sent them links to this thread and the service record you posted.
As stated above I didn't contact a service center, I scheduled the service on the app.

When they contacted me they gave me the option of a service center visit, mobile service, or the remote reset.

I opted for the remote reset which took all of 5 minutes.

I would push back. Don't just send them the link, send them the actual attachment. Let them know there is an open "ticket" in their system that references the removal of the TPMS Reset button and that you will not be paying for a solution for a capability they mistakenly removed.

Reactions: elee888
As stated above I didn't contact a service center, I scheduled the service on the app.

When they contacted me they gave me the option of a service center visit, mobile service, or the remote reset.

I opted for the remote reset which took all of 5 minutes.

I would push back. Don't just send them the link, send them the actual attachment. Let them know there is an open "ticket" in their system that references the removal of the TPMS Reset button and that you will not be paying for a solution for a capability they mistakenly removed.

So when you scheduled the service on the app, it didn't have you select a service center?

When I use the app to schedule service, it asks me for my ideal mobile service location. It then provides me with the 4 closest service centers, and it's required that I choose one to move forward in the scheduling process. Raleigh is the closest to me, and they ended up responding to my request. Unfortunately, I didn't get the option for mobile service or the remote reset. That's why I was asking which service center you selected, so I could arbitrarily input an address in the vicinity, and hopefully invoke the same response that you received.

I just had my TPMS receiver and sensors replaced with the Continental on my 2013 P85+. And now the left front is throwing a warning even though the indicated pressure is the same as the right front and both are only 1 psi higher than the spec in the door jamb placard. Is there really no rest option? I had the old receiver and sensors and never noticed a reset in the service menu.

Attachments

• 20200104_180118.jpg
    20200104_180118.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 60
I just had my TPMS receiver and sensors replaced with the Continental on my 2013 P85+. And now the left front is throwing a warning even though the indicated pressure is the same as the right front and both are only 1 psi higher than the spec in the door jamb placard. Is there really no rest option? I had the old receiver and sensors and never noticed a reset in the service menu.
Did you try a dual scroll wheel reboot?
You could try a wheel configuration switch to another wheel and then back to the ones you have right afterward. Just make sure all are at the correct PSI first.
Sounds like you should have Tesla work that out since you paid for it. Possibly programmed the threshold psi incorrectly for that one in your new receiver. More likely that than the tire sensor but you never know. Let them work it out.

The TPMS reset definitely was there for the BaoLong in the past.
Another thread had Artsci post their car worked with Continental sensors on a Baolong receiver. Had my doubts so I tried a set of wheels from a new car with Continental sensors on my 13 P85 and reset the wheel configuration. I also dropped the pressure in each wheel below 25 and refilled to activate signal. Did nothing for about 80 miles then got the TPMS System warning. nothing else seemed affected.
Would you mind sharing how much that Continental receiver cost to retrofit?
Wondering if worthwhile to switch to the Continental receiver and use the newer sensors I have but guessing it wasn’t cheap.

Would you mind sharing how much that Continental receiver cost to retrofit?
Wondering if worthwhile to switch to the Continental receiver and use the newer sensors I have but guessing it wasn’t cheap.

I was recently quoted $1162 for the continental retrofit on my 2013 Model S which has shown the error code since I switched to winter wheel setup.

Not sure if that includes installation of four new sensors or not.

Interesting...I am going through the same debate re: upgrading to the Conti with my ‘14 S85. The quote I just got from Tesla was ~$750 and did include install of the new sensors. Even still, not sure I will pull the trigger on that one just yet.

Current plan is to get a set of dual frequency Autel TPMS sensors programmed (by a forum member) and installed (by a local shop), just to get the error to clear. If I do plan to upgrade to the Conti system, I believe it will just involve the install of the receiver and reprogram the existing sensors...At least, that’s the plan.

Reactions: mambro
… Would you mind sharing how much that Continental receiver cost to retrofit? ...
Friday I was quoted € 660 excl. VAT by Tesla Service Center Tilburg. That included TPMS installation and one set of 4 Continental sensors without installation. Additional sensors are € 100 excl. VAT a piece without installation.
I declined the upgrade as the generation 1 system of the car seems to work OK and the set of brand new universal sensors caused the error messages. Will sort this out with my local tyre shop on monday.
BTW 1: kudos to Tesla SeC Tilburg. This was the second time they investigated the TPMS errors. First time they found two of the (six year old) sensors had a dead battery. After getting four new sensors mounted by the local tyre shop, the error messages kept returning. Tesla Service found the sensors to be incorrectly programmed. Now the universal sensors need to be reprogrammed I'm having them programmed with the same ID's as the sensors of my Arachnid summer wheels. Total cost of these two Service Center inspections was € 0,00.
BTW 2: After mounting the new sensors I was able to trigger a reset by switching the wheel type in the car's settings. I got the 'successful TPMS sensor reset' or similar message. Firmware 2019.40.2.3

Last edited:
Interesting...I am going through the same debate re: upgrading to the Conti with my ‘14 S85. The quote I just got from Tesla was ~$750 and did include install of the new sensors. Even still, not sure I will pull the trigger on that one just yet.

Current plan is to get a set of dual frequency Autel TPMS sensors programmed (by a forum member) and installed (by a local shop), just to get the error to clear. If I do plan to upgrade to the Conti system, I believe it will just involve the install of the receiver and reprogram the existing sensors...At least, that’s the plan.
Thanks for the quote. I’ll stick to old school. Haven’t needed PSI indications for 6 years anyway lol. I got the Autel ones and the MaxiTPMS pad to program them. It’s $50 Amazon and just need a laptop. Very easy and can reprogram them as I understand so you can reuse them for either the BaoLong or Continental or just about any other car.

Reactions: Zapped