Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tpms sensor problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't speak to the current crop of sensors but my old Pontiac G8 GT behaved that way. First lower them and then fill them up again.
I didn't have to do this to make my MY recognize a new set of BT TPMS sensors. I used a tire pressure gauge to check and my new set of tires and wheels are shipped to me at 41 PSI. I swapped them on the car, inflate them to 42 PSI, and drove out of my garage. By the time I backed out of my drive way, the PSI readings already show up on my screen.

rpiotro said:
I can't speak to the current crop of sensors but my old Pontiac G8 GT behaved that way. First lower them and then fill them up again.
I didn't have to do this to make my MY recognize a new set of BT TPMS sensors.
I agree - you don't need to play with tire pressures to make TPMS system recognize a new set of sensors.
In both my TM3P (433 MHz TPMS), BMW and Honda vehicles (also using 433MHz TPMS, but different wheel sizes, bolt patterns, and offsets), you initiate TPMS system reset on the vehicle side, it re-learns new sensors inputs, and everything works within a few miles.

It does take longer of my 2019 TM3P to recognize new wheels and TPMS sensors than the time it takes on other cars, but not excessively so.
If yours doesn't see new sensors after ~15 minutes and ~5 miles, you've got sensor frequency mismatch or sensor battery lifespan challenges.

I used a tire pressure gauge to check and my new set of tires and wheels are shipped to me at 41 PSI. I swapped them on the car, inflate them to 42 PSI, and drove out of my garage. By the time I backed out of my drive way, the PSI readings already show up on my screen.

+1.

Good luck !
a