Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tpms sensor problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everybody I got a new 2021 Model 3 performance and I just installed aftermarket asanti wheels from the original Uber turbine wheels and with aftermarket Goodyear F1 tires. My problem is that prior to installing these wheels I went to the tesla “dealership” and l purchased 4 brand new Stock model 3 tpms sensors which they matched to my vin on my car, I believe to make them compatible? I just got my car back last night and it seems to not be recognizing these sensors. I see on the older models there’s a reset tire pressure sensor button next to wheel configurator but I don’t have that. Thank you for any and all the help!

These should be the bluetooth sensors. Supposedly you should not need to do any setting change. Just drive the car and it should recognize the new sensors. Of course you don't want the old tires/sensors loaded in the trunk to confuse the car.

When I switch over my tires, the car initially recognized the new sensors automatically but did not match them in the right position. It took the car around 15 minutes to adjust and eventually correctly matched the positions of each new sensors.

@Gmoneyy , TSC should have sold you the bluetooth TPMS sensors that are required on 2021+ Model 3s.

Sometimes it does take a bit of driving around for the system to sync with the new sensors. You can also try to force the pairing by swiping over to the tire pressure display.

IMG_A9609EC27E1F-1.jpeg

Danny

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
These are what the new sensors looked like along with the wheels!
These are what the new sensors looked like along with the wheels!

I hate to break it to you... but those are incorrect sensors. Those are the 433mhz sensors used on older Model 3s.
If you purchased these from TSC, I would take them back and have them swap you out for the Bluetooth version.

If not, we also sell them and have them in-stock as of right now.

Danny

• Helpful
Reactions: jjgg and jjrandorin
I am certainly not an expert in this space, but the prominent "433" on there intimates that those are regular TPMS, that are on that frequency for tesla.

The bluetooth ones are blue, I believe (checked @MODEL+ site and they have a pic of the bluetooth ones that are blue).

I am questioning that they actually matched those to your vin. How much did you pay for them? There is a pretty big difference in cost I believe, between the bluetooth ones and the "regular" ones that work with the 2017-2020 model 3s.

EDIT: jinx... was posting same time as @MODEL+ Thanks for helping out our users, @MODEL+

Reactions: MODEL+
I hate to break it to you... but those are incorrect sensors. Those are the 433mhz sensors used on older Model 3s.
If you purchased these from TSC, I would take them back and have them swap you out for the Bluetooth version.

If not, we also sell them and have them in-stock as of right now.

Danny

I am certainly not an expert in this space, but the prominent "433" on there intimates that those are regular TPMS, that are on that frequency for tesla.

The bluetooth ones are blue, I believe (checked @MODEL+ site and they have a pic of the bluetooth ones that are blue).

I am questioning that they actually matched those to your vin. How much did you pay for them? There is a pretty big difference in cost I believe, between the bluetooth ones and the "regular" ones that work with the 2017-2020 model 3s.

EDIT: jinx... was posting same time as @MODEL+ Thanks for helping out our users, @MODEL+

OP mentioned TSC matched the VIN when purchasing the sensors. Is it possible OP's M3 is a pre-transition one?

I went to the tesla “dealership” and l purchased 4 brand new Stock model 3 tpms sensors which they matched to my vin on my car

After talking to the guys at tesla they told me not all the new sensors come blue, they were very knowledgeable of this situation and ran me through a couple different procedures on what I should do, I believe I made a rookie mistake I never checked how high the tires are inflated, I was told at 45 psi the sensors are engaged while driving and so forth solve my faulting issue.I’m pretty sure this is all it is was. Thank you for everybody’s help on here!

• Informative
Wow I’m pretty amazed to hear this news, but knew soemtbing was up. I paid just over $300 for these new sensors. I’m headed back to the tesla outlet to have it out with these guys. Thank you very much for this info I couldn’t have found it any where else.
Is it possible they quoted you the right product but gave you the wrong ones? The price sounds about right for Bluetooth sensors (about $75 each). But the picture you posted doesn't look right. If you use the FCC ID on the picture to look up, you'll find references about 433.92 MHz TPMS sensors.

After talking to the guys at tesla they told me not all the new sensors come blue, they were very knowledgeable of this situation and ran me through a couple different procedures on what I should do, I believe I made a rookie mistake I never checked how high the tires are inflated, I was told at 45 psi the sensors are engaged while driving and so forth solve my faulting issue.I’m pretty sure this is all it is was. Thank you for everybody’s help on here!

This sounds like its actually resolved for you now?

OP mentioned TSC matched the VIN when purchasing the sensors. Is it possible OP's M3 is a pre-transition one?

Wow I’m pretty amazed to hear this news, but knew soemtbing was up. I paid just over $300 for these new sensors. I’m headed back to the tesla outlet to have it out with these guys. Thank you very much for this info I couldn’t have found it any where else.

Believe it or not, Tesla sells the 433mhz sensor for the same price as the Bluetooth ones...

433mhz TPMS Parts # 1074812-00-B

Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 2.33.12 PM.png

Bluetooth TPMS Parts # 1490750-01-A

Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 2.33.57 PM.png

And yes, the Bluetooth ones are indeed blue in color.
1639175792656.jpeg

The easiest telltale sign your car uses Bluetooth TPMS is if it comes with black window trim and door handles from factory.

Danny

• Informative
After 30 miles I gave up. They sold me the wrong sensors. I’m schedule to go back this Thursday and what’s worse is that my local tire shop had to specially grind the tips off of the sensors down to clear the brake rotor. I’m not paying a penny for a thing they sold me the wrong sensors, look like Elon gonna take this $300 hit

• Funny
Reactions: Adam3
Do we know for sure all BLE sensors are blue in color? I'm running into the same situation. Bought the sensors from the local Tesla SC, they verified by VIN and knew they needed to be BLE. I did not study them but they were definitely black in color. I had another reputable tire center install them in my winter wheel/tire setup and I've had the error for a few days and a couple hundred miles. I read another post that said his sensors "woke up" once he lowered air pressure and filled the tires back up.

Do we know for sure all BLE sensors are blue in color? I'm running into the same situation. Bought the sensors from the local Tesla SC, they verified by VIN and knew they needed to be BLE. I did not study them but they were definitely black in color. I had another reputable tire center install them in my winter wheel/tire setup and I've had the error for a few days and a couple hundred miles. I read another post that said his sensors "woke up" once he lowered air pressure and filled the tires back up.
I can't speak to the current crop of sensors but my old Pontiac G8 GT behaved that way. First lower them and then fill them up again.

Believe it or not, Tesla sells the 433mhz sensor for the same price as the Bluetooth ones...

That's an absolute rip-off !
Industry-standard 433Mhz TPMS sensors can be had for $20-35 from most vendors. Tesla charging 3x for the same item is abusive.

Charging similar prices for lower-cost BlueTooth sensors is equally sad.
But that's what you get when an OEM removes competition by going with proprietary solutions.
☹️

After 30 miles I gave up. They sold me the wrong sensors. I’m schedule to go back this Thursday and what’s worse is that my local tire shop had to specially grind the tips off of the sensors down to clear the brake rotor. I’m not paying a penny for a thing they sold me the wrong sensors, look like Elon gonna take this $300 hit

Good luck with that!