Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track Mode Comparison @ Buttonwillow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kbecks13

Dec 27, 2017
SoCal
I just got back from Buttonwillow after tracking with Track Mode for the first time, but after having been to Buttonwillow about a month ago with Tesla Corsa. When i was their in October my fastest times were around 2:18, but i was having tons of power limitations which meant fewer chances at a quick lap. Today i was able to get 2:12 multiple times and my fastest of the day was a 2:11.

Most of this improvement was likely due to Track Mode as it really lets you put down power sooner coming out of a turn. You can see this in the first 30 seconds of the video below where I get loose coming out of a turn, which never happened before track mode.

In the video I'm chasing another Model 3 around on the track for 3 or 4 laps (until my brake fluid boils, listen for the alert @ 6:48) and had pretty good space on an otherwise crowded track. The brakes in the car definitely seem to be a weak link at this point and i'm definitely going to use a high performance brake fluid and possibly get new rotors.

Oh and also, Track Mode also lets you get into some sketchier situations - so be careful. Here's a bonus of what happens when you take a little too much speed into a corner and turn in a little too sharp ;)

The brakes in the car definitely seem to be a weak link at this point

It was always a little curious that the big brakes were marketed as track ready (or is that just what I think I heard?).

The pads on our racers would be loud, require huge effort and still barely stop if not hot (ie if not on the track after hard warm up lap). And street pads, designed to work when essentially stone cold, overheat and outgas as you saw <-- yeah I know you know this ;)

Still that looked like a ton of fun - track capable brake pads and fluids should make the next run even more fun

You can't brake 10/10 on stock brake setup. However, if you only brake around 8/10 and do 1 cool down lap after 3 laps, the brakes will last much longer and won't get the high temp warning. Buttonwillow has lots of 110 to 60 deceleration zone and some of them are back to back. Gotta pace your brakes until you upgrade the entire system to more of a motorsports setup.

Your off track recovery seems a little dangerous. You made a u turn right in front of the smoke cloud and if the follow car didn't come to a complete stop it might have hit you. I think you're supposed to wait off track until the sand cloud is gone and it's safe to come back into track. Stay safe outthere!

Yea for sure, i was actually on the track when i came to a stop so i had to get out of the way. I only made my U-turn when i saw that the following cars had stopped and were waiting for me, otherwise i was planning to just drive off track until the rest of the dust could clear.

Luckily my whole slide took about 10 seconds so the cars behind me had a good bit of time to slow down and stop because i ended up pretty much right on the apex of Truck Stop.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcbarnet007
Yea for sure, i was actually on the track when i came to a stop so i had to get out of the way. I only made my U-turn when i saw that the following cars had stopped and were waiting for me, otherwise i was planning to just drive off track until the rest of the dust could clear.

Luckily my whole slide took about 10 seconds so the cars behind me had a good bit of time to slow down and stop because i ended up pretty much right on the apex of Truck Stop.

Glad you were ok after that spin. Did you have a lot of dirt in the RF wheel? Track Mode will definitely let you spin!!

Glad you were ok after that spin. Did you have a lot of dirt in the RF wheel? Track Mode will definitely let you spin!!

Haha yea both front wheels had quite a bit of dirt in them. I was caught totally off guard by this as it was the first session of the day and pretty much only the 2nd or 3rd lap so the track was still cold. I think my main problem was that i lifted right when the rear started to get loose and then that made it much worse from the regen shifting weight forward.

Was pretty scared of that turn for the rest of the day and only took it at a max of like low 80's after that :D

"Back in my day..." (sorry) we were instructed to be waived back on-course by a corner worker, but otherwise NOT move. It's totally possible there wasn't one within sight here and your group operates under different guidelines, but just commenting for folks who may be new to track events and seeing this video. (Thanks for posting)

"Back in my day..." (sorry) we were instructed to be waived back on-course by a corner worker, but otherwise NOT move. It's totally possible there wasn't one within sight here and your group operates under different guidelines, but just commenting for folks who may be new to track events and seeing this video. (Thanks for posting)

Our guidelines are similar, wait for the dust to settle and make a safe entry back onto the track. The only reason i didn't sit and wait was the fact i was still on the track and right on the racing line.

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
[/QUOTE]
@MountainPass or @Odiemac any thoughts on where i went wrong in that turn? Too sudden of a turn in plus lifting off throttle?
@MountainPass or @Odiemac any thoughts on where i went wrong in that turn? Too sudden of a turn in plus lifting off throttle?

The car can want to oversteer through the entry to bus stop, especially if you're carrying good speed like you were on entry. You can lift a little bit before turn in, and then get on power after turn in, and it will help the oversteer.

However, you can see on my 2:00 lap there I had a reasonably large oversteer moment as well in the same place. Experience with the car and the track will let you predict these and get ahead of them with counter-steering in the future.
Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 4.52.41 PM.png

I just got back from Buttonwillow after tracking with Track Mode for the first time, but after having been to Buttonwillow about a month ago with Tesla Corsa. When i was their in October my fastest times were around 2:18, but i was having tons of power limitations which meant fewer chances at a quick lap. Today i was able to get 2:12 multiple times and my fastest of the day was a 2:11.

Most of this improvement was likely due to Track Mode as it really lets you put down power sooner coming out of a turn. You can see this in the first 30 seconds of the video below where I get loose coming out of a turn, which never happened before track mode.

In the video I'm chasing another Model 3 around on the track for 3 or 4 laps (until my brake fluid boils, listen for the alert @ 6:48) and had pretty good space on an otherwise crowded track. The brakes in the car definitely seem to be a weak link at this point and i'm definitely going to use a high performance brake fluid and possibly get new rotors.

Oh and also, Track Mode also lets you get into some sketchier situations - so be careful. Here's a bonus of what happens when you take a little too much speed into a corner and turn in a little too sharp ;)

I'm surprised you lost traction on that turn. It looks like maybe unevenness in the road in the turn started your spinout. Nice work!