TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Track Mode for Model S?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by UnpluggedDoc, Aug 21, 2018.

1. UnpluggedDoc

UnpluggedDoc Member

I haven't heard too much about the specifics of track mode as it relates to the Model 3, but wonder if it is something that will come to the Model S, either all versions or even just performance models, via update?

2. SSedan

SSedan Member

The motor design of the S is harder to cool, aint gonna happen no way no how.
    They overheat FAST when they try to run them hard on a track, software wont fix that.
    Still a great car, but not a track car beyond dragstrip.

3. UnpluggedDoc

UnpluggedDoc Member

Interesting. Didn't know the technology was that different between the two models. Guess I'll have to wait for a roadster ;)

4. jorobsand

jorobsand Member

I don't think Track Mode on the Model 3 has anything to do with motor performance. Not from what I have read. The adjustments that Track Mode offers on the 3 are related to things like stability control such that the car can drift without the car trying to correct or stabilize the vehicle.

Given this I too wonder if similar adjustments could be made to the Model S.

• Like x 1
  5. SSedan

SSedan Member

But if the motor can't be sufficiently cooled what difference does a suspension/stability track mode make..........

Now if they had GM's Mag-ride that would be cool I would take fixed hieght and adjustable shocks like GM has over the air ride.

• Like x 1
  6. Darmie

Darmie Supporting Member

Clear Lake TX. (Currently in lake Charles LA)
    Screenshot_20180721-150724.jpg 20180721_213317.jpg Yep, this is just a 20 min session and not getting up to full speed, a lead follow event with instructor in front. So track mode would be Regen low, set suspension to always on lowest setting, Tire pressure up to 52. That's about all you can do.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  7. The Duke

The Duke Member

It would make a LOT of difference in the corners. Overheating only affects acceleration (and regen). "Track Mode" for the S could get rid of the understeer like it does on the Model 3. Even though the S would be in limp mode after a lap or two it would still be fun.

8. GermanMike

GermanMike New Member

i would love to drift with the Model S (P90D)
    do you think there is any chance for this?

9. AlanM

AlanM Member

I’ve done it with a rear motor, and it worked ok. The D would be much harder; I’ve been looking for a good seal coat surface on a rainy day to try. Would be ideal if I could get the dealer mode trick, where it can emulate other models such as a single motor (RWD).

10. Darmie

Darmie Supporting Member

Clear Lake TX. (Currently in lake Charles LA)
    Keep in mind brakes on the S start fading quick. This is a balancing game. Regen you would want high to help with fading however it also builds heat in the stator.

11. The Duke

The Duke Member

Any reference for this? With regen off at Laguna Seca I did not notice appreciable fade for the few laps I did. This was before I upgraded the brakes.