TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Traction Control

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by fluxemag, Nov 21, 2018.

1. fluxemag

fluxemag Member

I have had my RWD long range 3 since March and I’ve had some pretty unnerving losses of traction in the last month. No error messages on the display and the tires have plenty of tread left. It feels like I have zero traction control. I’ve gotten into a slide in the rain, I’ve had the back end trying to pass me multiple times and I feel no electronic assistance. I had a RWD Model S and had no issues. I have never seen the traction control engagement light on in the 3. Anyone else experience this?

2. mcbarnet007

mcbarnet007 Member

Something is wrong and you should get it checked out at service center asap.

3. NWPILOT

NWPILOT Member

I was driving on wet roads today and noticed the lack of traction control, slid quite easily, too easily when powering a right turn from a four way stop. Surprised me and so I tested it a few times an traction control quite delayed.

4. disapr

disapr Member

Definitely take the car in and have Tesla review the logs if you feel like something is wrong.

If you were to stop on a wet street with no excessive accumulation of oil, so no stop signs or stop lights, and punch it (floor it), will you spin the rear wheels or does it just go? If you have no traction control, the Model 3 will have zero issue spinning the wheels in this scenario.

If it hasn't rained in a while, oil and sand will accumulate on the road and the next rain will be especially slick. In an artificially slick intersection with EV torque, it's probably fairly easy to get sideways, even with digital wheel speed control.