Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade-In Estimate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you redo your math for us with the fed and state tax incentives?
Fed rebate was $3,750, PA state was $1,600 (total $5,350) which means my actual sticker cost was $41,150. Current value of $33,600 means it still depreciated 18.3% ($7,550). If you factor in FSD increase cost the depreciation is 28.1% ($11,550). So even with $5K+ in tax incentives (which are now gone), the car is still on a normal or even an accelerated depreciation curve.
Also, I was talking to someone on Reddit who said they got a trade-in estimate for their M3 SR+ in October for $37,100 (the estimate I got in October was for $34,200). So how come there's a $2,900 difference for the same car?
I wouldn't be so annoyed but the narrative from news outlets, fans, etc. has always been that "Model 3 holds its value better than any other sedan". Also the Tesla reps (and even Elon himself) keep saying "because of FSD your car will appreciate in value".

Fed rebate was $3,750, PA state was $1,600 (total $5,350) which means my actual sticker cost was $41,150. Current value of $33,600 means it still depreciated 18.3% ($7,550). If you factor in FSD increase cost the depreciation is 28.1% ($11,550). So even with $5K+ in tax incentives (which are now gone), the car is still on a normal or even an accelerated depreciation curve.
Also, I was talking to someone on Reddit who said they got a trade-in estimate for their M3 SR+ in October for $37,100 (the estimate I got in October was for $34,200). So how come there's a $2,900 difference for the same car?
I wouldn't be so annoyed but the narrative from news outlets, fans, etc. has always been that "Model 3 holds its value better than any other sedan". Also the Tesla reps (and even Elon himself) keep saying "because of FSD your car will appreciate in value".
M3 resale values are not necessarily as good as some seem to think but various factors can go into the valuation. Tesla currently has 2019 M3 SR+ models with FSD for as little as $37k used retail. 2020 M3s with FSD, low miles, clean histories, extended warranties, etc. can be had for as little as $42k from Tesla right now.

How many miles does your car have?

Fed rebate was $3,750, PA state was $1,600 (total $5,350) which means my actual sticker cost was $41,150. Current value of $33,600 means it still depreciated 18.3% ($7,550). If you factor in FSD increase cost the depreciation is 28.1% ($11,550). So even with $5K+ in tax incentives (which are now gone), the car is still on a normal or even an accelerated depreciation curve. .

The car did not depreciate that much. You can not compare depreciation to what you bought it for retail, to what u can sell it for whole sale. Apples to oranges.

Reactions: SageBrush
You must be angry all the time from adverts do not live up to their promises.

How old are you ?