Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade In Offer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You think the second offer is going to be better than the first? I don’t think you know how trade-in algorithms work.
You have no idea what you're talking about. Come back in a few months to tell me I was right when trade-in values start going up again, because unless the global semiconductor shortage somehow disappeared overnight, 2022 will have fewer new cars produced than pre-pandemic and therefore used cars will continue to remain high. December through February are seasonally weak periods due to new models coming in Q4 and the rollover into a new year (making your car 1 year older based on calendar year), but this seasonality subsides in Q2 and beyond.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Come back in a few months to tell me I was right when trade-in values start going up again, because unless the global semiconductor shortage somehow disappeared overnight, 2022 will have fewer new cars produced than pre-pandemic and therefore used cars will continue to remain high. December through February are seasonally weak periods due to new models coming in Q4 and the rollover into a new year (making your car 1 year older based on calendar year), but this seasonality subsides in Q2 and beyond.
Again, you don’t get how trade in algorithms work. I’m not saying the prices of used vehicles on the secondary market are not going to increase.

I’m simply saying that when a 3rd party vendor sees you entering your VIN for a quote more than once, you’re getting a lower offer. It’s basically like pulling your credit. More pulls, number go down.

Again, you don’t get how trade in algorithms work. I’m not saying the prices of used vehicles on the secondary market are not going to increase.

I’m simply saying that when a 3rd party vendor sees you entering your VIN for a quote more than once, you’re getting a lower offer. It’s basically like pulling your credit. More pulls, number go down.
No one knows the input factors for how the various algorithms work, because that's all proprietary, if you say different you're either flat out wrong or you work for a company and have seen it. So absent that information, the only thing you can reliably state is the obvious market factors that probably go into most algorithmic models and those input factors have not changed at all.

• Disagree
Reactions: preilly44 and glide
No one knows the input factors for how the various algorithms work, because that's all proprietary, if you say different you're either flat out wrong or you work for a company and have seen it. So absent that information, the only thing you can reliably state is the obvious market factors that probably go into most algorithmic models and those input factors have not changed at all.
I work for a company and have seen it.

Also it’s pretty common knowledge. If you are coming back repeatedly it means you are out of options or the convenience is worth more to you than money. And there is a price to pay for that

What hassle of dealing with Tesla? You drive you car to Tesla, drop off the old one and pick up the new one. That seems like much less hassle than going to other places (assuming the price is the same) or dealing with a private party sale (which should fetch more money though).
There's also another advantage of trading in (in most states at least), and that is it'll reduce the actual sale price of your car so that your sales tax will be on the difference. This doesn't apply in some states (like California), but it does in 42 of them, including Texas. In more expensive cars it can substantially decrease your taxes.

Reactions: preilly44
Will tesla negotiate on trade in at all? Say KBB is offering 1,500 more to sell to a local dealer
No, the Tesla trade-in is non-negotiable per Tesla SA, my understanding is they get a price sheet from their trade-in partners, which update based on various factors. Tesla doesn't hold onto the trade-in cars, but immediately pushes it through their used car partner network.

Reactions: preilly44