Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in quotes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2013 S60 getting ready to upgrade to a new one and they quoted me $25k and change for my car. The car has 72k miles. My buddy who works for dealership gave me a buy bid of $32k but Tesla says they will not honor any buy bids. It's really leaving a sour taste in my mouth that Tesla would low ball owners like that.

• Informative
Reactions: P85Dave and croman
One would think Tesla would be the best place to trade in your used Tesla on a new one. Not so. It seems they are worse on used Tesla than regular ICE cars. A third party dealer gave me significantly more than Tesla. Considering what they charge for CPO, they should be giving top dollar for used trades.

Reactions: croman
A buy bid will allow me to take advantage of the sales tax credit here in WA state. If Tesla refuses to bump up their offer at least they can accept the buy bid as a service to their clients. Every dealership i've ever dealt with matches or accepts the buy bid. There is no risk on Tesla other than that they lose out on certifying the car and reselling for a higher margin.

Tesla doesn't want ANY trade-ins, period - Tesla's or otherwise. In Elon's ideal world Tesla's are like iPhones, you just buy a new one every few years, no trade-ins. Unfortunately they have to deal with them, so they do so by giving you low wholesale values, not accepting any trade-throughs (I tried once, had a dealer with a higher offer but Tesla won't play ball) - all this is encouraging new buyers to take care of their own trade-ins so Tesla doesn't have to deal with them.

I trade in my iPhone to Apple every year for the newest model and end up paying about what I would pay if I sold it on eBay (if you include fees, time and hassle). Very easy.
To Apple, or you cell company or some store that carries Apple? Only recently has Apple considered selling refurb phones, and it sounds like you've been doing this for years. If it is Apple, did you just take it to the Apple store? Do they trade in non-Apple devices too?

PS) the reason why Apple is going into refurbs is because the used iPhone market started being sizable. Used Tesla used market is not there yet.

Tesla recently called me trying to sell a new car, and offered a ludicrous trade in offer. To give you an idea, without ever putting my car on sale, I've received offers 20% higher than Tesla's. TWENTY PERCENT!

Anyway, I'm at the 3 year mark, and I'm not going to buy another Tesla. So I simply asked him if Tesla will ever enable app mirroring, carplay, and started discussing repair costs, service centers being overloaded etc. .. he never called back! LOL

Tesla planning to allow app mirroring from Android to center consoles

From that article, Elon said "As we have sort of thought about it more, the logic thing to do from an app standpoint is to maybe allow apps on your iPhone or Android to project onto the center display, as opposed to trying to create a new app ecosystem."

Now, it took Elon 5+ years to "sort of think about it more" and then change his mind on delivering the SDK he promised to people, so you have to give him a few more years to "sort of think about" Android mirroring too, and see whether he changes his mind again. I was hoping he would "sort of think about" the blind spot monitoring feature he dreamed up in 2014, and decide to stop trying to make it work with ultrasonics (which does not work reliably) and replace it with proven radar based technology, but I guess it hasn't been 5 years yet, so we have to give him some more time to "sort of think about it".

They don’t want to hold inventory, inventory requires cash, they have to borrow money to buy your car. Basic economics.

Well then I'm doing them a favor as I have a wholesale broker that will take the car right when the trade is completed. Tesla just need to facilitate the transaction to capture the sales tax credit. They're not holding inventory or need cash as the broker takes the car and pays them the same day.

Well then I'm doing them a favor as I have a wholesale broker that will take the car right when the trade is completed. Tesla just need to facilitate the transaction to capture the sales tax credit. They're not holding inventory or need cash as the broker takes the car and pays them the same day.
I tried this, they won't do it. I think it's mostly because they are not trained in how to do it, not part of the official process.

I wonder if something has changed in the last year. It was right around this time last year when I was trading in my software locked S70D AP1. Tesla actually gave me the best offer. I cross shopped it with CarMax and the no-name shop across the street from CarMax, and they gave me around $2000 lower. Then I posted a feeler here that was around $7k above CarMax and the only offers I got came at or below CarMax.... Ended up trading it into Tesla.

Sounds like people are getting worse deals nowadays....

I wonder if something has changed in the last year. It was right around this time last year when I was trading in my software locked S70D AP1. Tesla actually gave me the best offer. I cross shopped it with CarMax and the no-name shop across the street from CarMax, and they gave me around $2000 lower. Then I posted a feeler here that was around $7k above CarMax and the only offers I got came at or below CarMax.... Ended up trading it into Tesla.

Sounds like people are getting worse deals nowadays....
I was trading in a less than 2 year old Model S in 2015 and Tesla's trade-in value was lower than what I could sell it to resellers or private sale. Not only that, it was only valid for 10 days, after that it dropped further without any guarantees how much it will be worth by the time the new car gets to me. Even Tesla sales was guiding me to take care of it myself. That was 3 years ago.

I was trading in a less than 2 year old Model S in 2015 and Tesla's trade-in value was lower than what I could sell it to resellers or private sale. Not only that, it was only valid for 10 days, after that it dropped further without any guarantees how much it will be worth by the time the new car gets to me. Even Tesla sales was guiding me to take care of it myself. That was 3 years ago.

Very interesting. I guess it's a grab bag of experiences then.... It's always worth exploring all of the options. I guess I lucked out in that the Tesla trade in was the least troublesome approach and wasn't a ripoff. The offer was supposed to be locked in until my new car arrived but my replacement car was inventory and it only took around 2-3 weeks, so I'm not sure what their policy would've been if I were going to have to wait for longer.