Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade-In Valuation time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the same boat. Order placed Feb. 21st. It is now almost a week later and I have no evaluation.

I emailed the advisor that initially contacted me, but I've heard nothing back. Should I just chill and wait until I get a VIN? I'd kind of like to know what Tesla will offer so I can do some planning of my finances.

I must have gotten lucky. Total time from submitting my trade in details to accepting their offer was less than an hour. This was about 2 1/2 weeks ago. I still don’t have a VIN, though.
That was my experience as well. I then went to CarMax to get another appraisal a couple days later which turned out was only $500 more than what Tesla had offered but was still more. That matched it without an issue the same day I submitted the CarMax appraisal offer letter.

Still didn't change overnight. Waited until 1:00 pm local time and emailed the local advisor again. He called the remarketing team and it was done in minutes. So the moral of the story is if your valuation doesn't show up in a few days, contact someone at Tesla and have them call the "remarketing team".

I'm wondering if Elon matching policy is ethical. Carmax is possibly performing thousands of appraisals that solely benefit Tesla...

Who do you think would be buying these cars? If anything, it benefits CarMax. They can set the price, Tesla pays it, the car sells at auction with a CarMax quote, and then CarMax can justify the pricing they charge to end customer....

• Disagree
Reactions: inikkor
Sorry to dredge up an old topic. I have an order in progress. I've completed the Delivery Location, Registration and Trade-in steps. I am waiting for my valuation. I submitted a credit app for how much I'm willing to finance and was approved, but I have not clicked "Agree" yet. I was thinking I would wait til I get the trade-in amount before I sign up for the tesla financing (if they came in over the top, I could potentially do it in cash).

Question is, do I need to "agree" to the financing terms (which is apparently a final thing) before I hear my trade-in offer? Or am I safe to wait til they have an offer for me? Will they not give the valuation if there's no vin, and no vin if I don't finalize the loan terms?

I’m in the exact same situation, but o haven’t heard back from financing yet.

Just to follow up on this, here was my timeline (note, pre-COVID-19)

* Feb 10: Placed order
* Feb 11-12: Submitted trade in
* March 7 (about 25 days later): VIN assigned, advisor asked for one more picture of trade-in. Submitted that. At night, received trade-in offer
* March 15: Submitted a Carmax quote which was matched
* March 18: Took delivery

I'm 90% sure that the trade-in does not come in until there is a VIN as mentioned earlier in this thread. I just don't know why Tesla doesn't tell us that up front. They seem to put on an act of "Oh, it must be the other department, Oh it must be the system, Oh the fax was blurry" and BS like that.

Some states reduce what you owe in registration taxes by how much your trade in is worth.

In Kentucky, they take 6% off what I owed them by how much Tesla gave me for my previous ride. For example, if your car is worth $17000 trade to Tesla, Kentucky will take $1020 off what you owe them. So if another place is offering you $18000, you are ending up losing $20. Plus more hassle.

Just be sure to check this before you go with someone other than Tesla for a few extra dollars. Might not be worth it.