Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade SR+ for AWD Decision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If providing heat is a concern then you might as well go with the Y since it has the heat pump.

In regards to your cons -
low speed safety sound can be removed
auto dimming mirror can be swapped.

Ultimately, it all comes down to the financials. If you can afford it, do it!

FWIW, it sounds like you aren't really saying why you want to do this. The regen and battery heating sound like questionable differences. Small differences if even that. Youtr SR+ floor mats and sound system can be upgraded without spending much. In reality, the Premium Sound System is not all that Premium. Todays' electronics are good. The SR+ is really mostly missing the (small) powered subwoofer, and that can be remedied for ~ $150 and some simple wiring work. There are those tiny tweeters up front that you could also add cheaply. Even if you paid a car audio con artist to do it, it's not very much.

So all in all it sounds like a huge money hit for exactly what? Why are you even considering this, honestly? If you really need the bigger battery, did you only now realize it? If it's for the rush, and you can afford it, OK, sure, but you may as well swallow the loss, stop pussyfooting around and get a real Performance 3 or Y with all the automation, or you'll want more and the car will be worth less in resale.

FWIW, it sounds like you aren't really saying why you want to do this.

Well, here's some of the math behind my $10,000 upgrade decision:
  • Save $1,000 for new tires, as my SR+ tires will wear out soon
  • Save $3,000 for AutoPilot, as mine doesn't have it
  • AWD for Winter traction in the Upper Midwest
  • Larger battery for more range and fewer battery cycles, especially in the winter months
  • Faster charging for those times when I forget to plugin (I'm a wait until it gets down to 20-30% kind of guy, before charging)
  • Better audio, without having to hack an upgrade together (although the SR+ already sounds very good IMHO)
  • Another year of warranty and battery degradation, since I'm starting over
  • Hopefully better regen, with more control, which would be especially nice in the winter months
  • .5% better interest rate
Basically I got a 1 year / cheap lease on my TM3 SR+, since I can sell it now for more than I paid for it, and get the version that I really wanted all along.

Last edited:
The main reason people who purchase the SR+ have upgrade thoughts is generally because of the range limitations. The SR+ is a pretty fast car. It’s nice to have the faster speed on the AWD but I can’t imagine it’s worth the loss you are going to take on selling the SR+ and then paying the taxes all over again.

Well the induction motor upfront in the AWD allows the "violent" instant torque acceleration that the RWD models (SR/LR) can accomplish. The torque curves can't match the AWD with both motors so partially it's range, but also partially acceleration.

I'm more than satisfied with the SR+ as the ultimate commuter car. I only wish the audio was better but that's another discussion all together!