Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade SR+ for AWD Decision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm seriously debating selling my existing SR+ and getting a new LR AWD Model 3. Am I missing any major Pros (don't care about ambient lighting, etc...). I'd also like to know if I'm thinking correctly about my 2 bolded questions? If the cost isn't too great, it looks like I would gain a Lot!

Pros:
  • All-Wheel Drive for the Wisconsin weather
  • 33% More Range
  • 50% Faster L2 Charging
  • Faster Supercharging
  • Upgraded Audio (Amp + Subs)
  • Significantly Quicker 0-60mph
  • Stronger Regen (Does the AWD have significantly stronger regen than my RWD)???
  • 2x Battery Heat / Better Winter Regen (Will the dual motors warm up the battery faster in my Wisconsin winter)???
  • AutoPilot Included (my SR+ doesn't have it)
  • New Tires (my original MXM4's are wearing out)
  • HW3 instead of HW2.5 (doesn't really matter without FSD)
  • Longer Warranty (starting over = 1 more year)
  • Better Insulation (quieter on the road, Road noise is annoying)
  • Lower Interest Rate (only 0.5%, but still something)
Cons:
  • Annoying low speed safety sounds
  • Non-dimming external mirrors
  • Another year of payments
Thanks in advance for your help!

• Love
Reactions: SlimJim
How much of a price difference are we talking? If you're trading with Tesla, be ready to be kicked in the nuts. I just got a quote on my SR+ yesterday from Tesla (2019 SR+, Blue/White, Basic AP, 6,900 miles) and it was for $30,900. Before tax that would be $17,290 to upgrade for me... even saving on a better interest rate that is painful. If I sell to Carvana I was quoted $39k for my SR+ so then it's $9,190 before tax...

• Informative
Reactions: Matsayz
How much of a price difference are we talking? If you're trading with Tesla, be ready to be kicked in the nuts. I just got a quote on my SR+ yesterday from Tesla (2019 SR+, Blue/White, Basic AP, 6,900 miles) and it was for $30,900. Before tax that would be $17,290 to upgrade for me... even saving on a better interest rate that is painful. If I sell to Carvana I was quoted $39k for my SR+ so then it's $9,190 before tax...

Trading in will always be a "kick in the nuts" with the exception of some gasser deals where they give with one hand and take with the other. Your car doesn't magically sell itself once traded - Tesla will either hand it off to a third party (who'll also want room in the price for their margin) or they'll clean it up and market it themselves. That all takes time, money and hassle so you get less $$$. They likely don't generally want to be in the business of buying and selling used cars, it's a convenience service as much as anything, and you pay for that.

For maximum value go to Carvana (who are in the business of buying and selling used cars) or even better sell it privately.

I've thought about upgrading as well but to me the gains aren't worth the money I'd lose trading it in and the $$$ I've put in to my car

Just going to stick with my SR+ for awhile. I've done so many big and small mods, which I'd have to do all over again on a new one. Only 10 months of ownership.

Very happy with what I have. Plus people always think I have a performance based on the looks and it's certainly not slow by any means :cool:

It's hard for anyone here to answer. Really depends on your use case and how much disposable income you have.

In my case, I drive an average 14 miles a day (~5,000 miles per year). It's essentially a weekday commuter. SR+ is more than enough range for me. We have another car we use for family trips. Plus my SR+ is fully paid for. Could I afford a LR AWD? Yeah, but I don't really need it and would rather save/spend that incremental money elsewhere.

Reactions: Mr X
To your two bolded questions: No and no.

Yeah I have never read anything about the AWD versions of the car having "stronger regen" and having "better winter regen" than RWD vehicles. Is that a thing? I havent heard of it, for sure... but that doesnt mean it cant be true.

with as much time as I spend in the model 3 section here though, if it IS true, it means not many people are talking about it, and it certainly shouldnt be figured in as a reason to lose a bunch of money upgrading.

Plenty of reasons to do so, with the top one being "because I want to, and I can afford it". Dont need any other reason than that, really.

Reactions: hcdavis3
The legendary audio system is like half the reason I'm going to get an AWD. Have you test driven one yet to feel the difference?

I test drove the AWD last Spring, before I purchased my SR+. The car was a friend of a friends, so while they were very generous, and it was my first time driving a Tesla, I didn't floor it or even think I would want an AWD.

You know I did go thru this switch two weeks ago. And I purchased Boost upgrade.
3.8 sec is all I needed.
Stronger Regen is very true.

I sold my SR(+) to Vroom. Carvana could not pick up my car because I was outside of there region although carvana offered higher price.

DO IT

Reactions: Stach and hcdavis3
Stronger Regen (Does the AWD have significantly stronger regen than my RWD)???

Not stronger regen but more battery capacity for regen. For example, AWD at 90% has 7.5kW to gain back whereas SR+ only has 5kW to gain back therefore SR+ starts with more dots. I think that's what you mean by stronger?

Where I live SR+ qualified for $8K point of sale rebate whereas LR AWD sites not qualify for any rebates. Add everything up and it's a $20K price difference. Now after getting hosed on the trade in and that difference is $30K! I'll live with just the rear permanent magnet motor and weaker torque curve. Good enough for a daily commuter. $5K professional audio upgrade and I'm good.

Not stronger regen but more battery capacity for regen. For example, AWD at 90% has 7.5kW to gain back whereas SR+ only has 5kW to gain back therefore SR+ starts with more dots. I think that's what you mean by stronger?

Thanks for the reply and by stronger regen, I mean the ability of the AWD to use BOTH motors for regen braking = shorter distance motor only braking.

Alson, in the winter, I've also noticed some tire slippage while regen braking, since only 2 of the 4 wheels are motor braking on my RWD, so I feel I could have more control if both front and rear were regen braking instead of just the rear as well.

Thoughts?

Reactions: hcdavis3
As others have said, the answer to your bold points are no for both. However the bigger battery will help you in the really cold months.

I've done some more reading in the forums and the AWD can in fact use both motors to heat the battery (3.5 kW each). As an added bonus, while just cruising along, it can use the front motor to only heat the battery as well, while the rear propels the car.

I’ve never heard of anyone commenting on the AWD model having stronger regen or better heating capacity. Even if it were true it would have to be a very slight difference. It’s certainly not advertised by Tesla as a feature.

The regen braking on my LR RWD is so strong I can’t imagine why I would want it to be any stronger.

The main reason people who purchase the SR+ have upgrade thoughts is generally because of the range limitations. The SR+ is a pretty fast car. It’s nice to have the faster speed on the AWD but I can’t imagine it’s worth the loss you are going to take on selling the SR+ and then paying the taxes all over again.

If your driving habits make it difficult to get to your destination non-stop without supercharging that might be enough motivation to upgrade. Otherwise if it were me I’d at least wait until there is some sort of major refresh on the car that adds a really significant new feature worthy of upgrading.

Reactions: not4antoher