Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

trading in model 3 SR+ for model Y long range now or wait for cybertruck?

trading in model 3 SR+ for model Y long range now or wait for cybertruck next year?

• trade in for model Y long range now

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • wait for cybertruck long range next year

Votes: 12 44.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I got myself a model 3 SR+ last December. At the time of purchasing last year, I was not 100% sure EV car can be the only car in my garage so I went for the cheapest model and kept my ICE AWD SUV. But after taking model 3 on multiple road trips and prefer to drive model 3 over my ICE SUV, I do not see the need to keep my ICE SUV.

However, I still wish my model 3 SR+ has a bigger space to haul stuffs from home depots and longer range for road trip without stopping at superchrager often. Plus, rwd SR+ sometimes fish tails during the snowy day driving so I was less confident to drive fast. This eventually lead to a hard dilemma.

Should I trade in model 3 SR+ for model Y long range now or wait for cybertruck long range next year?

What would you do if you were in my situation? Thanks

I think lots of people, including myself, went with the Sr+ as an entry into the EV market.
I traded in my truck for the M3 not knowing what EV ownership was like. I love the instant power but miss being able to haul things around without worrying about space.

I have a CT reserved. This will allow me to have the best of both worlds

Trade-in both for the Model Y, you won’t regret it. I have a 2019 SR+ and my wife bought a Model Y LR in June, I love driving the Y! It’s got so much more power and the AWD just delivers it perfectly. The extra space via the hatch is wonderful and we can attest to the Home Depot runs.

The CyberTruck isn’t going to be out for awhile (ass-uming LATE 2021) and personally I think it’s ugly as sin. The Rivian is what I’d love to have but I can justify a $70K truck, even with the stupid headlights.

I doubt you’ll lose much money on the SR+ but you didn’t leave info on your SUV but sounds like you’ve had it for awhile. Make sure to use a friends referral code to buy your Model Y

i had an suv at 96K miles so i wanted something new. a new model would have been 80K plus petrol costs were too damn high here in socal, so when the CT was announced i hopped on the reservation . but rather than wait another year for the 3 motor version, i decided to get model 3 now. this gets me into a new car, gets me into the tesla fleet, and id have fun with a performance car until the CT was ready.

worse case if i am unable to get into a CT, its still a win win because ive model 3, so i say to the op, hold out for the ct.

I have a reservation for the CT and can’t wait. That said, if you’re asking the question now without mentioning whether or not you have a CT reservation, you could be looking at years down the line before you get one, even if you reserved today. So I’d go Model Y if you’re looking to make the transition before 2023 or so.

Hello all,

I got myself a model 3 SR+ last December. At the time of purchasing last year, I was not 100% sure EV car can be the only car in my garage so I went for the cheapest model and kept my ICE AWD SUV. But after taking model 3 on multiple road trips and prefer to drive model 3 over my ICE SUV, I do not see the need to keep my ICE SUV.

However, I still wish my model 3 SR+ has a bigger space to haul stuffs from home depots and longer range for road trip without stopping at superchrager often. Plus, rwd SR+ sometimes fish tails during the snowy day driving so I was less confident to drive fast. This eventually lead to a hard dilemma.

Should I trade in model 3 SR+ for model Y long range now or wait for cybertruck long range next year?

What would you do if you were in my situation? Thanks

When we went from our aging model s to the SR+ last year we missed the cargo space. The Model3 is perfect for 95% of what we needed. So early this year I bought a used Tundra for 6k and it takes care of the other 5% of my needs. When my CT reservation is ready we will sell both the model 3 and the tundra.