Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

trading

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm back pretty heavily in TSLA again. The market appears to have gotten its wind back, though it still seems a bit fragile right now. I like how TSLA is trading.

I will say it is starting to look believable again. Closing strongly over $230 on a day like today. I’ll go out on a limb and say the next medium term top will be above $270 and likely near $280.

I just got a call from my ETrade advisor that because my portfolio is overly committed to TSLA, they are going to raise my margin requirement on TSLA from 35% to 55%. So I sold some TSLA at a profit and moved it to ARKQ. That'll show 'em!

Edit: I hadn't bought any more TSLA for a couple of weeks, so I called them to check whether this would cancel the margin maintenance requirements or not. They said yes, it would re-evaluate overnight, and would not do the increase. The only reason it was triggered was that TSLA has been going up relative to everything else, and pushed me over 80% (not counting options or <$1 stocks). Worth knowing.

Last edited:
Got a nice little bump premarket here, but not sure how well that will hold. I'm hoping for a small correction sometime soon back to ~ $230.

Lithium stocks, like TSLA, are benefitting from the oil crisis as well. Some of the severe pain I've endured there has been somewhat relieved here as of late. But I'm still hurting bad.

I do think the oil crisis is likely a short-term overreaction at the moment. The math doesn't add up to me w.r.t. actual supply impact versus current market reaction.

Somewhat off-topic, I'm curious about trying this out for fun: Using the Dividend Capture Strategy

I've thought about it a lot and wondering if I can actually make any decent money with it. My full time job gets in the way of all of my day trading schemes though :)

I have tried that years ago with shares of Belgian firms (given my location) with mixed results. The strategy boils down to "timing the market" since the pay-out of dividends is represented accurately in the stock price.

The article glosses over this but in reality the stock drops significantly after the Ex-date, sometimes snowballing downward. Buying just before the Ex-date is not a smart move since the stock is at its highest then. Many think they'll beat the market and buy before the declaration date but just like TSLA can see a rising SP when nearing a P&D report or ER based on rumors, the dividend stocks gradually rise before the declaration date in anticipation of the announcement of the dividend.

To summarize: the stock is inflated in the period before the declaration date and the ex-date. This inflation is about the same value as the dividend per share. So basically you are only seeing profits if other factors (macro/other news regarding that stock) move the SP upwards and vice versa.

A more fail-safe approach with for example yearly dividend stocks is buying the stock +/- six months after a dividend has been paid and holding it indefinitely to see gradual income. But of course that's investing, not trading ;)

I have tried that years ago with shares of Belgian firms (given my location) with mixed results. The strategy boils down to "timing the market" since the pay-out of dividends is represented accurately in the stock price.

The article glosses over this but in reality the stock drops significantly after the Ex-date, sometimes snowballing downward. Buying just before the Ex-date is not a smart move since the stock is at its highest then. Many think they'll beat the market and buy before the declaration date but just like TSLA can see a rising SP when nearing a P&D report or ER based on rumors, the dividend stocks gradually rise before the declaration date in anticipation of the announcement of the dividend.

To summarize: the stock is inflated in the period before the declaration date and the ex-date. This inflation is about the same value as the dividend per share. So basically you are only seeing profits if other factors (macro/other news regarding that stock) move the SP upwards and vice versa.

A more fail-safe approach with for example yearly dividend stocks is buying the stock +/- six months after a dividend has been paid and holding it indefinitely to see gradual income. But of course that's investing, not trading ;)

I thought about some of the things you mention here, but I questioned how accurately the stock price is actually represented according to the dividend pay-out. And yes it would be a game of timing the best time to buy/sell according to the dividend dates.

Maybe the best time to buy would be sometime shortly after the ex-date. But then you don't know how bad it could snowball afterward like you mention. Would require some prior analysis, which may likely end up as inconclusive :)

I don’t have a good feel for the market right now, so I haven’t been trading much lately. I did buy Fedex this morning after the 13% or whatever drop. We will see if I can steal some pretty quick profit there on a bit of rebound or not.

I still would like to see TSLA back at $230 or so for me to be more comfortable buying again.

I don’t have a good feel for the market right now, so I haven’t been trading much lately. I did buy Fedex this morning after the 13% or whatever drop. We will see if I can steal some pretty quick profit there on a bit of rebound or not.

I still would like to see TSLA back at $230 or so for me to be more comfortable buying again.

Sold and made a decent chunk of change off FDX.

I predict Trump will retaliate again since the Chinese cut short their meeting here after Trump gave them an olive branch by delaying tariffs ahead of their holiday. I suspect he is angry and will lash out. If true, macros will obviously respond again.

• Disagree
Reactions: EVMeister
Gaps at 227 and 235 filled. More below. Death cross on weekly chart triggered last week. Caution advised! (Not advice, ;))

Obviously I did not anticipate this lawsuit, but I was cautious of regulatory risk (SEC, NHTSA), re solar roof production tweet and autopilot, which can still materialize (not saying that its justified, but just pointing out the risks). GLTA.

• Informative
Reactions: ev-enthusiast