Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traffic lights misread.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving around Dublin I average roughly one traffic light that Tesla misreads per kilometer of driving.

How do I submit feedback.

Basically, ..

I'm stopped on red light, green light for bicycles turns on, while it's still red for cars. Tesla chimes and the display shows a single green traffic light...

.. or ...

I'm stopped on a red, in a right lane reserved for right turns indicating right, there's two traffic lights, for straight and for right, both red in front of me. One for straight goes green, Tesla chimes for me to go, despite me obviously waiting to turn right.

---

AFAICT, people with FSD can submit video feedback/bug report.

Can us mere mortals without FSD do anything to help improve these things in the long run?

Reactions: boombap
It's quite dumb, and doesn't understand filter lights at all. Just sees some green and assumes go.

At a local roundabout it gets totally confused as it can see multiple lights..

I don't think it'll ever be improved.. that's why it stops even if it sees a green light, because it's just not reliable enough and Tesla don't want the liability.

There are lots of things it’s going to misread, especially speed signs. Unfortunately the hype does not match the reality and outside North America’s everyone is just in limbo whilst various bits filter through for better or worse. The car is very much a work in progress and far from much needed 99.99999…% accurate.

Reactions: boombap
It's probably not going to be noticed, but you can use the voice button and say something like "bug report car misunderstood red traffic light" or similar. I'm sure they already know that the non fsd traffic light chime is nothing like the fsd ai version. Maybe one day we'll benefit from some fsd side effects in non fsd cars.

It's probably not going to be noticed, but you can use the voice button and say something like "bug report car misunderstood red traffic light" or similar.

All that does is put a short lived (I was told ~5-15 days) entry in the cars log.

It will only be seen if you subsequently raise a service request that mentions the log date and approx time.

Otherwise it just gets lost as the logs roll over.

More of a get it off your chest action than one that anything will ever be done about it.

Reactions: Pink Duck
All that does is put a short lived (I was told ~5-15 days) entry in the cars log.

It will only be seen if you subsequently raise a service request that mentions the log date and approx time.

Otherwise it just gets lost as the logs roll over.

More of a get it off your chest action than one that anything will ever be done about it.
That makes me sad. Especially as the car thanks you for your feedback when you do this.

Not going when Tesla FSD thinks you should is letting them know that they've got it wrong. It's also what the UK ADAS drivers likely reported long ago. The cases where it thinks you should stop for a green LED forward light in combination with red for right-turn that are most problematic. Plus the number of on/off warnings for traffic light control permission to proceed. Do that too four times quickly and… cowbell (requiring reset, while driving S/X).

However, it’s literally only letting them know if they happen to be performing a Shadow Mode search for driving behaviours matching that exact case, which they aren't - because outside of US.

Last edited: