Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transfering Green Plates to new M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So like half the world it seems I have been not so patiently waiting for a model 3. I stood in line on day one at the Lawrence location in Toronto. Figured I was about 40th in line. Elon announces that configuration was open, and I waited again for them to allow Canadians to configure. When I finally got the invite I decided to wait for the AWD, how long could it take! When Elon announced that AWD would be available I constantly refreshed my page waiting for the ability to configure the AWD. Oh did we forget to say that only the US will get the AWD now and we don't know when we will let you poor Canadians order. So I decided to just get the RWD before our provincial government could change the rules. Configured on May 22nd. Cue Jeopardy theme music here. Constantly checking my order page (no I am not obsessed). Yesterday evening I receive an email "Your Model 3 has finished production and should be ready for delivery within a few weeks." FANTASTIC! I had better get moving to sell my 2012 Volt that I have loved for 7 years. I had advised them in the order that I would be transferring my current EV plates (Green) to the new car. Today I get an email stating "your car should be arriving ~6/14" Holy Crap! I call them. The sender of the email is a very helpful and pleasant women named Sierra. She informs me that they need my plates for at least 7 days before they can deliver my car. Problem, I need to drive my car at least until the 19th before I can go car less for a week, so delivery is set for the 26th.

Does anybody know why they need the plates for a full week? I get that may have been necessary for the first mass deliveries at the beginning of the month, but I had assumed things had slowed down by now. I have bought other cars and transferred my vanity plates to them by bringing them to the dealership and waiting for about an hour for one of their junion staff to run to the licence office while we processed the paperwork.

I am really not complaining, just confused. Of course I will do everything in my power to get my M3 as soon as possible. Off to the licence office tomorrow to figure out my options.