Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transparent Roadster Top

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought the "Premium" version and was extremely disappointed in the "Premium" features that came with it.

I've never used the cleaning kit (I think it's down in the basement somewhere) and the case is pretty laughable (I posted a picture of it on here when I first got it). It's something that could be made from leftover fabric. Don't expect a semi-rigid case like you see the Tesla Hard-Tops have. Nowhere close to that.

It's nice to have something to put the top in when it's not on the car but, that's a $50 case, not a $700 case.

Here's the pic (with a CanJr next to it, for size comparison)...

vision-top-bag-jpg.64703

All of the earlier tops Visium made were Premium tops, they sold at the 3k premium price point. I believe he/they wanted to drop the price to help the customers out and possibly bring in more business so they made the basic version. A better way would have been do drop the price and offer accessories that people can buy at a reasonable price.

What I don't get in the description is that the Premium has the UV and anti-scratch coating on *both* sides, meaning inside and out whereas the basic only has it on the outside. However they list that the top has "a light transmission equal to 12%". First don't they mean to say it filters 12% of the light? It would be quite dark if it filtered 88% of the sun. Also if the premium has an extra or double the UV filtration, so how the heck can both the premium and basic have the same filter level but one has half the filter value?

Great info from everyone. Thanks!

Sounds like the only real "extras" you get with the Premium Version (other than the 1kg weight reduction) is a coat of scratch protectant on the inside, a pretty lame cloth storage bag and a cleaning kit.

Definitely agree that doesn't seem worth an additional US$700/EUR500.

The UV filtering issue wiztecy raises doesn't seem clear, but I'm guessing it is not related to the additional layer of anti-scratch coating.

I actually do like the Visium storage bag, its neoprene like a wet-suit and not bulky. I put my Visium top in that cover and then put that (top & cover) inside the Tesla cover. I can actually fit 3 tops in the Tesla cover, which are my Tesla Carbon Fiber top, the Visium top with cover, and my Lotus Elise top that's the same color as my Roadster. But that Visium top isn't worth more than $100 at most.

My Basic Visium top came with the cleaning kit. I kept the wooden box and bubble-wrap for storage. Standing on end, it fits perfectly next to a cabinet in the garage. (Hope being on-end isn't a problem for storage of the top...) I change out the tops between Visium and cloth in the late fall and spring, based on the weather. The weight difference between basic and premium isn't anything to be noticed (I can install mine without assistance), and amounts to a couple of extra trips to the local fast-food restaurant in terms of the car's performance.

• Funny
Reactions: DaveD
Sounds like the only real "extras" you get with the Premium Version (other than the 1kg weight reduction) is a coat of scratch protectant on the inside, a pretty lame cloth storage bag and a cleaning kit.
I wonder what the physical difference is between the two Visium tops that accounts for the 1kg weight difference. Is the more expensive top thinner overall? I assume it is the same material.

I put my Visium top on for the first time over a year ago and have never taken it off. I love it.

David here with MrFiat... I am excited to see all the very positive reviews on this thread in regards to the top and the positive feedback for both Maurizio's dedication to delivering a great product along with the great customer service provided by us both. The top is truly a game changer on a Tesla and the compliments will come from both anyone inside the vehicle or bystandeers. If you have any questions I can be reached directly at 678-637-5103.

I've reached out directly to a few users but figured I'd bump this thread to cover the bases. I'm in the market for one of these so if someone has a used one for sale (preferably non-delaminating and with weatherstripping intact) pls PM me, thx.

I thought there was some small difference between the Elise and Roadster versions of the Visium top. Don't know how important it is for proper fit, but recommend that you contact them first before purchasing the Elise version.

F7D2B275-DCDB-4D83-8C98-A5EA0ED8AB34.jpeg
202F56C7-A535-41CB-9947-CFA95EC25172.jpeg
I just got my Premium Visum hardtop today. I noticed that there appears to be a significant gap on the driver and passenger front ends. Is this normal? It appears this would be an easy way for water/rain to get inside the cabin?

Attachments

• 1881FA35-0764-4ABB-A3B8-294E3240FDCC.jpeg
    1881FA35-0764-4ABB-A3B8-294E3240FDCC.jpeg
    495.6 KB · Views: 69
Mine fitted more or less ok (some smaller gaps, but dry inside and plain with the roll bar and the front).
You have to be careful with the isolation rubber so it doesn't get stuck... if this is not the case then it might be bent a bit and therefore it doesn't fit?
BTW: making claims with Visium might be a pain in the a... (mine had some scratches and after 1.5 years! of back and fourth I got a reduction...)

I’ve had a Visium top for a few years now and it is great. I have a similar gap in front but it’s pretty flush with the top of the windshield.

I had a similar problem with one side being too high above the windshield and causing wind noise. I removed the Visium top and looked closely into the holes that the roof front posts insert into and found a black plastic grommet had become dislodged and not allowing the roof to seat properly. After I removed the askew grommet the top fit much better with no wind noise or water leakage.

I hope that helps!

Attachments

• 25FC79AE-51C8-4EB7-8A1F-9463ED9BFE3D.jpeg
    25FC79AE-51C8-4EB7-8A1F-9463ED9BFE3D.jpeg
    293.6 KB · Views: 69
  • A14B84A4-FA64-4E01-8DB1-4AEA29030B32.jpeg
    A14B84A4-FA64-4E01-8DB1-4AEA29030B32.jpeg
    299.1 KB · Views: 96
I’ve had a Visium top for a few years now and it is great. I have a similar gap in front but it’s pretty flush with the top of the windshield.

I had a similar problem with one side being too high above the windshield and causing wind noise. I removed the Visium top and looked closely into the holes that the roof front posts insert into and found a black plastic grommet had become dislodged and not allowing the roof to seat properly. After I removed the askew grommet the top fit much better with no wind noise or water leakage.

I hope that helps!