Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Travel cooler/fridge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got this when it was on kickstarter for about half that price. It’s ridiculously good. We’re travel sport parents and always have a case of water and some gallon jugs of water in the cooler. Keeps everything nice and cool. I’ve also used it to keep growlers of beer cool as well.
It's only slightly overpriced at half price. I can't see anyone paying $600 for this. Especially, since there are perfectly good options on Amazon that are around $200.

I've got this one: BODEGAcooler 27qt/25L K25 12V Portable Car Fridge Freezer - Orange

Fits nicely in the sub-trunk of the Y. I do prop up the trunk cover a little bit for venting as the cooler can get a bit hot when it's running. But it works quite well. If you have it full, run it on Max rather than Eco mode. Overall the cooler is quite versatile. I often will take it out and use it for bbqs and such by plugging it into a wall socket.

I have this one

Setpower FC20 Portable 12v Refrigerator, -4℉-68℉ Fast Cooling Car Refrigerator, 20L/21Qt Car Fridge Portable Freezer with 12/24V DC & 110/240V AC, Electric Cooler (Black, 20L With AC Adapter) https://a.co/d/ilOrCbP

Fits in the lower trunk well and I use a doorstop wedge to keep the trunk floor lid propped up a bit for ventilation. We love it.

Although my fridge fits in the sub trunk, I usually keep it above for easy access and use the sub trunk for luggage where I don't need ready access.
I usually take it out of the car at my destination and run it plugged into "shore power".
I also have a small "solar battery" Bluetti EB3A which I usually hook up to keep it running when the car is stopped. I plug the EB3A into the car and the fridge into the DC output of the EB3A which can run the fridge for more than a day (depending on temperature).

Although my fridge fits in the sub trunk, I usually keep it above for easy access and use the sub trunk for luggage where I don't need ready access.
I usually take it out of the car at my destination and run it plugged into "shore power".
I also have a small "solar battery" Bluetti EB3A which I usually hook up to keep it running when the car is stopped. I plug the EB3A into the car and the fridge into the DC output of the EB3A which can run the fridge for more than a day (depending on temperature).
If sentry is on, the 12V outlet in the trunk remains powered indefinitely.

Reactions: mspohr
I just ordered the Phantom 30L portable electric cooler at Costco for $189 and it fits like it was made for the MYLR 2023 5 seat sub trunk. It has both a 12v plug for the trunk that pulls 45 w per hour (1kW) max per day. You can also use AC at a hotel/Airbnb w/ a second cord they provide. I’ll be using the AC cord to precool it before road-trips / sports tournaments for the kids / camping.

Compared to the Yeti Tundra 45 recommended on other threads, this has the same 32L capacity and 23 pound weight, but is less than half the price of the $400 non-electric Yeti.

The lid will also close completely flat with clearance for air circulation. I think on hot days we may crack the lid just to prevent overheating.
It’s pretty quiet so we won’t be able to hear it over the road noise.

I haven’t taken this on a long road trip, but as far as fit, design, function, and price I have yet to find a better electric cooler solution.

Hey, do you have any follow up thoughts after using this longer? Coming from the camper world, the Dometic looks nice, but WAY more expensive. And if this works well enough, fair dinkum, I'm in.

Hey, do you have any follow up thoughts after using this longer? Coming from the camper world, the Dometic looks nice, but WAY more expensive. And if this works well enough, fair dinkum, I'm in.
We liked the Phantom when we had it, but in hindsight, it really doesn't match up to the Tesla specific ACOPOWER fridge. The TesFridge, being specifically designed for the subtrunk space, properly vents the heat directly out of that space. The Phantom can't do that, so in addition to being slightly lower in fridge space, the top of the fridge is actually somewhat warm compared to the bottom because the cooler is fighting with itself for cold air. It was never a deal breaker for our day trips, but definitely sub-optimal and might be an issue for some.

• Informative
Reactions: BitJam
No mention of thermoelectric coolers. No fluids or compressor, just a small solid state pelteir. Very little volume used by the pelteir (about the size of a candy bar), so more room for food and drinks. Low cost too. I purchased years ago for my camping truck setup and did not want to go with a refrigerator because 4 wheeling might jostle the compressor too much, also lighter and smaller for the same storage volume. This is the one I have, but they make smaller ones; Koolatron 12V Electric Cooler/Warmer, 49L (52qt) XL Thermoelectric Car Fridge, Two-Way Design, 12 Volt DC Connection, Plug In Iceless Portable Refrigerator, For Work Travel Vehicle Truck RV, Gray

I added extra rails and a second tray to mine. And don't buy from Amazon, got 2 defective ones there, finally got a perfect one at Walmart of all places.

Works great in my MY, plug into the back low voltage port. Mine is the 16v Tesla and no problems with the voltage. Would never put in subtrunk as it operates by moving heat to the exterior, just like compressor refrigerator, and the hotter it gets outside the more work it has to do. Also hard to access subtrunk when loaded for road trip. Camp mode keeps power ports active when car is sitting.

Downsides are;
-no temp control, it's on or off (although does cold or hot), but it always has nice cold beer.
-not as energy efficient as compressor refrigerator. Mine draws 60 watts (but it's 52 quarts) Keeps everything cold and only occasionally have noticed a little ice forming.

Upsides
-more storage and lighter due to smaller electronics
-solid state electronics, no fluids or moving parts, so rugged
-does hot or cold, just plug in opposite direction.
-more cost effective

No mention of thermoelectric coolers. No fluids or compressor, just a small solid state pelteir. Very little volume used by the pelteir (about the size of a candy bar), so more room for food and drinks. Low cost too. I purchased years ago for my camping truck setup and did not want to go with a refrigerator because 4 wheeling might jostle the compressor too much, also lighter and smaller for the same storage volume. This is the one I have, but they make smaller ones; Koolatron 12V Electric Cooler/Warmer, 49L (52qt) XL Thermoelectric Car Fridge, Two-Way Design, 12 Volt DC Connection, Plug In Iceless Portable Refrigerator, For Work Travel Vehicle Truck RV, Gray

I added extra rails and a second tray to mine. And don't buy from Amazon, got 2 defective ones there, finally got a perfect one at Walmart of all places.

Works great in my MY, plug into the back low voltage port. Mine is the 16v Tesla and no problems with the voltage. Would never put in subtrunk as it operates by moving heat to the exterior, just like compressor refrigerator, and the hotter it gets outside the more work it has to do. Also hard to access subtrunk when loaded for road trip. Camp mode keeps power ports active when car is sitting.

Downsides are;
-no temp control, it's on or off (although does cold or hot), but it always has nice cold beer.
-not as energy efficient as compressor refrigerator. Mine draws 60 watts (but it's 52 quarts) Keeps everything cold and only occasionally have noticed a little ice forming.

Upsides
-more storage and lighter due to smaller electronics
-solid state electronics, no fluids or moving parts, so rugged
-does hot or cold, just plug in opposite direction.
-more cost effective
The big downside is it can only do 40F below ambient, which makes it more of a drinks fridge.

To use as a normal fridge, you have to plan around ambient temps, inconsistent performance, lack of long term freezing temps (and certainly nowhere near 0F), etc. Compressor based fridges definitely have their advantages as well.

I have a thermostatic, runs off USB, cools my next Starbucks can or Coke can and keeps my other food cool for later. I also have one that is a cup holder that fits in the closable center space of the old S/X. Runs on the cigarette lighter socket. I use it to keep coffee warm but if I put it in cool mode and close the space it gets super hot so I can keep other food warm in there. So warm even the cup insides that are supposed to be cooling are warm. Probably takes a lotta power.

I just got my MX version of the ACOpower Tesla Fridge, and I LOVE it. I honestly didn't think it would fit, but it does. Not perfect, but it is exactly as promised except the hand-in-glove fit of the Model Y version. It's a little crooked/tilted down in front, sticks up 1/4" in back, but I LOVE it for all its functionality.

The Model X version is actually a rectangle and not "molded" to the subtrunk's irregular shape, which I think helps with air circulation/heat buildup AND looks less weird when you take it out to use it out of the sub trunk at a camp site or at a beach/party venue. Highly recommend.

Reactions: mspohr
I just got my MX version of the ACOpower Tesla Fridge, and I LOVE it. I honestly didn't think it would fit, but it does. Not perfect, but it is exactly as promised except the hand-in-glove fit of the Model Y version. It's a little crooked/tilted down in front, sticks up 1/4" in back, but I LOVE it for all its functionality.

The Model X version is actually a rectangle and not "molded" to the subtrunk's irregular shape, which I think helps with air circulation/heat buildup AND looks less weird when you take it out to use it out of the sub trunk at a camp site or at a beach/party venue. Highly recommend.
Good to know. I currently own a Y and have the Acopower but am getting an X soon and want to get a new fridge as well. Love this thing for travel sports and bringing food with on trips. It’s absolutely paid for itself in saved $ from meals.