Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Travel Through Cajon Pass on I-15

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've driven to & through Las Vegas many times from Newport Beach, CA in our 2015 P85D with 21" performance tires in all 4 seasons. Only times we had "range anxiety" was our first trip when the only Supercharger was in Barstow... and another time we hit NASTY 30 to 50 mph head & cross winds followed by a "brown out" dust storm then brown rain from Barstow to Las Vegas. Fortunately I had Tesla Winds running in our browser showing the wind drag and dramatic increase in kWh consumption. I kept an eye on the Navigation estimated charge at arrival... and saw it dropping below 10%. I turned on Range Mode, lowered the suspension, and found a Mercedes Sprinter van going 75 mph and "drafted" it to the Primm Supercharger with AutoPilot following distance set to 1... and arrived with just over 10% charge. Never would have made it without drafting the Sprinter van.

SoCal to and through Las Vegas is much easier now with the proliferation of Superchargers on this route... but nasty headwinds can make Navigation estimates inaccurate. Better to "pre-flight" your trip using A Better Route Planner or EV Trip Planner, entering the headwind speeds and ambient air temperatures so it can more accurately predict your recommended Supercharger stops.