Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traveling for 2 weeks, no charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charging to 100% then driving the vehicle right away is not that bad because the cells are not held at a high voltage. That's very different than charging to 100% and letting it sit for a week. That's just plain bad advice -- at least according to the science:

I'm sure your Model S battery is fine, but he asked about best practices. So to give him a bad one, then say the best practice advice is "overrated" doesn't really answer his question. And that's aside from the fact that I don't agree it's overrated advice. My 2012 Leaf that we have set to charge to 80%, and only charge to 100% when needed and we drive right away, has only lost one bar in 6 years of daily driving with a much smaller battery pack and no thermal cooling. My early 2014 S has only lost 4%, the majority of which went in the first 6 months.
Thanks for the feedback!

The big difference with a Tesla is the vampire drain. That sucks quite some Watts and thus charge from the battery over the course of two weeks. Tesla says 1% per day, but most of the S and X I know of are draining more per day.

But does Tesla actually charge to 4,2V? I thought they charged to 4,15V or something.

Went into settings - > displays didnt see this option?
See attached photo. Both switches are at the bottom of the page under "Power Management."

Attachments

• IMG_20180706_074139613.jpg
    IMG_20180706_074139613.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
interestingly my MX VIN 101xxx and most updated software, does not have this option. reading the tesla forums, this is noted by a few other owners as well. weird.
That is strange. I wonder if you have the newer MCU2. Mine is an Aug 2016 build MX with the original MCU.
This is a great feature. I'm not sure why it would be removed, unless energy saving mode is now the default and always engaged. When I turn it off, my phantom load increases quite a bit.