Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traveling South: update on Ocala, Sarasota, Brandon, SC/GA SE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took trip back to SW FL this weekend & found that there remains inconsistent charging at several of the Supercharger locations:

Santee SC: only 3A, 2A-B works well...I used 3A and it ran at site rated charging

Savannah, GA: 2A-B & 3A-B works well....I used 3A and it ran at site rated charging

Ocala, FL: also, only 2A-B & 3A-B working well. I used 2A and it ran at site rated charging

Brandon, FL: spoke to a fellow Tesla owner @ Santee who told me that they had to wait at Brandon in morning due to no slots open. Generally, I find that site to be fast but also very busy since a lot of locals charge there.
btw: if you can skip Brandon do it and head to Sarasota which has a lot more charging slots.

Sarasota, FL: brand new and services are still limited next to chargers (there is plenty of places to eat, etc en route off of I75 to location). Right now, only Zoe's Kitchen is open (bathrooms are nice) but the Wawa is opening on Dec. 7th. Sadly, I found that one of units (3A) was slow but 1A was blazing fast. Please note that unlike other locations, Sarasota is paired with units next to each other (so 1a, 1B, 2A, 2B, etc). One other note, might have to watch out at night here....there was a wine bottle and other clothing debris by tree next to site. IMG_5290-1.JPG

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Trailblazer
Took trip back to SW FL this weekend & found that there remains inconsistent charging at several of the Supercharger locations:

Santee SC: only 3A, 2A-B works well...I used 3A and it ran at site rated charging

Savannah, GA: 2A-B & 3A-B works well....I used 3A and it ran at site rated charging

Ocala, FL: also, only 2A-B & 3A-B working well. I used 2A and it ran at site rated charging

Brandon, FL: spoke to a fellow Tesla owner @ Santee who told me that they had to wait at Brandon in morning due to no slots open. Generally, I find that site to be fast but also very busy since a lot of locals charge there.

Sarasota, FL: brand new and services are still limited next to chargers (there is plenty of places to eat, etc en route off of I75 to location). Right now, only Zoe's Kitchen is open (bathrooms are nice) but the Wawa is opening on Dec. 7th. Sadly, I found that one of units (3A) was slow but 1A was blazing fast. Please note that unlike other locations, Sarasota is paired with units next to each other (so 1a, 1B, 2A, 2B, etc). One other note, might have to watch out at night here....there was a wine bottle and other clothing debris by tree next to site.View attachment 264742
My experiences at Savannah and Santee have always been good. Last week I charged at Savannah twice (11/26 and 11/30) - I used stalls 1A and 3A and saw no issues. I charge at Santee every couple months or so and have never seen an issue (maybe I've just been lucky?). Are you trying every stall to see what charging speed you get? Or are you going off reports from Tesla owners that you talk to at the sites? Maybe I'm just not noticing small deviations from optimal charging speed - I generally look at the kw reported when the charging begins and make sure that it's over 100 (as long as my SOC is appropriately low). At any rate, I appreciate the information on those sites.

My experiences at Savannah and Santee have always been good. Last week I charged at Savannah twice (11/26 and 11/30) - I used stalls 1A and 3A and saw no issues. I charge at Santee every couple months or so and have never seen an issue (maybe I've just been lucky?). Are you trying every stall to see what charging speed you get? Or are you going off reports from Tesla owners that you talk to at the sites? Maybe I'm just not noticing small deviations from optimal charging speed - I generally look at the kw reported when the charging begins and make sure that it's over 100 (as long as my SOC is appropriately low). At any rate, I appreciate the information on those sites.

Hi there....I've learned from about 20 N/S trips from Naples to NC & back to call Tesla. They have the best info and it's been beneficial for charging Brandon, Ocala, Kingsland, Savannah, Santee. Early on, I would play the "move to another slot" game which is almost like the old Monty Hall game: is there a car or a donkey behind the curtain at the charger :)
btw: Ritz Carlton Amelia Island has a terrific Tesla charging solution in their garage (valet it) and I got 40+ mph at the site.

FWIW: an S stopped by next to me at Santee and plugged into 1 and got no charging...I told him about the site issue and when he moved he was charging decently.

• Informative
Reactions: Trailblazer
I just took 4 trips from Fl to DC and back. I keep a log of every charge. It's a crap shoot. Not one single spot is the same or stall. One day 3 of us tagged along, every stop was different. We chatted at all 4 stops on 95. There 2 chargers on each inverter in the fence. If you share an inverter it's slower, we noted this and moved. It also depended on how low we were. It was a great experience to have 3 cars travel 700 miles together and talk at each stop.