Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tree fell, crushed parked Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
During a storm last week two trees of about 60cm fell on our Model 3, leaving considerable dammage to the roof and rear. See pictures.

the insurance company claims this can be simply repaired.. but i am worried about the impact the choc had on the stability of the roof structure and the overall safety.
11032021 Model 3 tree.jpg

any thought?
11032021 Model 3 dammage.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Good news - Tesla vehicles provide top-ranked occupant protection in collisions.

Bad news - this protection stems from controlled deformation. Many structural elements are designed to gradually give way. This absorbs the collision’s energy over a long-enough period that human occupants do not experience excessive acceleration in the milliseconds following impact.

Several consequences:
  • Grateful Tesla owners who can walk away from mishaps.
  • Occasional claims that, “Airbags failed to deploy!” This happens after the folks in #1 above turn around, see the devastated vehicle and realize there are no airbags hanging limply. Airbags are the vehicle’s last defense. If it cannot absorb all the impact energy, airbags deploy to cushion the interior as the humans are subjected to extreme acceleration.
  • More extensive structural damage than one might expect.
Use a Tesla-approved shop. Be prepared for two rounds of estimates. First round based on visible damage. Second round after they remove the exterior panels and assess the underlying structure.

I don’t know if British insurance compensates for diminished value-loss of resale value due to body work.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
thanks for all the responses, there is also some dammage to the front.

I am mostly worried about any hidden deformation which might have longer term consequences and certainly a loss of resale value.

I'm located in Belgium and my insurance covers 100% loss of value still for another month... So in a way a write off would be better even if painful and against the principle of keeping the same car for much longer than the average ICE. At least that was the plan..

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Upvote 0
thanks for all the responses, there is also some dammage to the front.

I am mostly worried about any hidden deformation which might have longer term consequences and certainly a loss of resale value.

I'm located in Belgium and my insurance covers 100% loss of value still for another month... So in a way a write off would be better even if painful and against the principle of keeping the same car for much longer than the average ICE. At least that was the plan..
I agree with you. I would hope I can get a new car out of this too. Count your blessings though, no one was hurt!

Upvote 0