TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

tricking cameras to show front

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by jerseygirl18, Oct 23, 2019.

1. jerseygirl18

jerseygirl18 jersey girl

Is there a "work around" to get the camera view on the screen when one would need it in forward for parking situay movement...vs just rear. Pulling into my garage for instance never know what the kids have put in the wrong place
    I could do it in my MB I simply hit the camera button...alas I think that button or icon missing...but maybe someone out there in Tesla world has a way...thanks in advance

2. mxnym

mxnym Member

No, there is no such feature. However, your MB probably had a camera on the front of the car in the grille. The Tesla forward facing cameras are in the windshield, so not much further forward or higher than your head. IOW, it probably wouldn't do you much good if it did exist. However, when you're looking forward, you should be able to see your garage before you pull in, and the radar sensors behave as parking sensors providing a visual in the IC once you're getting close to a wall or something.

3. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

@mxnym is correct. Also, the lack of grill mounted camera makes a complete 360 degree bird's eye view impossible. I love that on my BMW for those tight parking spots where you need to get close to a light pole or other obstruction in front of the car.

• Like x 1
  4. mfdutra

mfdutra New Member

It's just unbelievable that Tesla insists is not having a 360 camera. A Chevy Equinox has that.

5. Keiki

Keiki Member

Agree strongly with mfdutra. Existing system is kinda ok.

6. andrewFW

andrewFW Member

#6 andrewFW, Nov 7, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    You know, I could've sworn I've seen a video of someone switching to a front camera. I can even visualize the UI for swapping. Maybe I'm remembering a mod video I watched a long time ago.

EDIT: Oh, hahaha this person added a camera switcher and made the trigger for switching listen for a garage door signal. Then they added that signal as a homelink option. Very cleaver!

• Love x 1
  7. jerseygirl18

jerseygirl18 jersey girl

who can do that & lives near Boca Raton, fl? I need you!!

8. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member