Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tried my CHAdeMO Adapter today on my Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I live in a state with ONE supercharger, it's hard to get back and forth to separate sides of the state. Fortunately there have been some CHAdeMO chargers rolling out from Electrify America at various Walmarts throughout the country. I have a few that were located in good spots for my travel, and despite paying to charge at rates that most wouldn't like, I didn't mind the convenience of charging quickly (albeit not as fast as a supercharger). It allowed me to get to my destination, and grab a J-1772 charge for a few hours while I was there, and then return home without any range anxiety.

Attached is my charge graph for those who are interested. If I did the math correctly, it looks like charging from 60% or so to 100% was about one hour, or 118mi/hr charge rate.

Anyway, sharing this for CHAdeMO charge rate education for those who may be in a similar boat as me and do not have great supercharger options nearby. Hope someone finds this helpful.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-07-01 21.35.21.png
    Screenshot 2019-07-01 21.35.21.png
    63.9 KB · Views: 144
I have one and used maybe less than five times.. most stations I used limited me to thirty minutes Or less .. but in your situation without having Superchargers nearby they are great alternative

In the couple I have used (EA Chargers), I have received 53KW steady until the top 20% of my battery. While I don't like the single point of failure (single handle at most locations for Chademo), they make a big difference for cross country trips.

There's a lot of variability with CHAdeMo it seems. There's a free "50kW" unit close to my house that I bought the adaptor to use with. I've never seen higher then 39kW, usually averages mid-30's. This is both on my older S, and newer X. I'm not complaining really as it's free, but certainly not a "Supercharger" in any way.

I only paid $300 for the adaptor on eBay. In the last 2 years I've saved about $20 in power using it, and have never needed it anywhere else. Eventually I'll probably sell it back.

The ski Town, Colorado, Park City has a CHAdeMO running at about 35kW. That sure beats the several 208V/30amp L2's around town. Personally - when CHAdeMO's run between 30-35kW's they might as well run them down to 20kW, because anything above 20kW's still counts towards the maximum amount of supercharger sessions that ultimately activate the supercharger highrst power throttle back algorithm.

I got the adapter shortly after getting my X so I had the option on trips or in a pinch. I've used it three times total over a year and a half, granted I haven't been on many long trips in that time. When I did use it I was very pleased that I didn't have to wait hours for a j1772 slow charge during the day. Now there are superchargers within 15 minutes of two of the ones I have charged at but I'm going to keep it as an option and peace of mind.

Screenshot_20190706-083430_Firefox.jpg

The ski Town, Colorado, Park City has a CHAdeMO running at about 35kW. That sure beats the several 208V/30amp L2's around town. Personally - when CHAdeMO's run between 30-35kW's they might as well run them down to 20kW, because anything above 20kW's still counts towards the maximum amount of supercharger sessions that ultimately activate the supercharger highrst power throttle back algorithm.
Just down the street from the CHAdeMO's there's three 80amp Tesla Destination chargers, each on their own circuit. That's about 15kW, so roughly half the speed of the Park CIty CHAdeMO's.

/edit. Also at some point the CHAdeMO's are flipping to paid vs free, but no word when that will happen.

That's about 15kW, so roughly half the speed of the Park CIty CHAdeMO's.
The bummer with this is that many of smaller battery, or newer models, don't have dual onboard chargers and can only pull a max of 11kw from these. If I were 20% or lower in my brand new S with the 100kw pack, that would be a 6-8 hour charge for me to get up to 90%. Not ideal if you're looking for a mid-drive charge and go.

Reactions: boonedocks
Not ideal if you're looking for a mid-drive charge and go.
In some places yes, but in this case you wouldn't need that much of a charge to get to the next supercharger on I-80. Evanston to the east is about 60 miles away, and SLC is only 22, (and 90% of that is downhill).

Should add that Park City has been on the coming soon list for a new supercharger for 2 years now.