Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tried replacing the instrument panel with a used one and now the car won't start

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My instrument panel is bubbling and leaking the glue bad. I bought a used one off ebay but upon installing it, I get a message stating it needs a software update. It also says the car is in tow mode and it won't start. It seems swapping screens isn't as simple as I thought. I don't want to do the MCU2 upgrade as I'm planning on selling the car soon. I'm guessing I'd have to have it towed to a tesla dealer to have it updated? If that's the case, I'll put the old one back in and try to sell as is.

My instrument panel is bubbling and leaking the glue bad. I bought a used one off ebay but upon installing it, I get a message stating it needs a software update. It also says the car is in tow mode and it won't start. It seems swapping screens isn't as simple as I thought. I don't want to do the MCU2 upgrade as I'm planning on selling the car soon. I'm guessing I'd have to have it towed to a tesla dealer to have it updated? If that's the case, I'll put the old one back in and try to sell as is.
Go to the software screen. Push and hold the model number...type "service"