Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip journal - South OC to Big Bear/Snow Summit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought this may be useful for anyone who is contemplating the trip with range anxiety.

I have a LR AWD Model 3 with the Aero Wheels and the hub caps off. I started in the morning at 6AM with 100% coming out of South OC and made it up to Ontario to pick up a friend taking the 5 -> 55 -> 91 --> 71 avoiding toll roads. I got there with 78% battery left, driving 75mph and no traffic. From there I took the 10 and made it up to the San Bernadino Supercharger. On a weekday, it was empty, just 2 other Tesla's. I spent 35 minutes getting it back up to 99% and then took the 210 to the 330.

Road conditions were wet from the snow melting, but no chains needed. From Highland all the way to Snow Summit I used 30% of the battery, arriving with 69%. Stayed there from 10AM to 3:45PM, and the car lost 5%, so I left with 64% battery. On the ride down, I regenerated 6% battery, so I reached Highland and the 210 with 70%. I forget how much battery I had left over when I got home, but it was a decent amount and I wasn't worried having to stop by Ontario first.

Lessons learned:
1. I probably could of made it up the mountain and back to a supercharger. Had it been the weekend, and only one of the roads were open with no chain restrictions, I probably wouldn't have taken the risk. Since the 330, 18, and 38 were all open, and it being a weekday, I think the M3 is very capable.
2. I didn't run the A/C going up, but I did use it coming down as I needed the defrosters and seat warmers.
3. I was ahead of what ABP calculated.
4. I'm less cautious now of the M3's range capabilities. What a spectacular vehicle.

Last edited:
From my experience, as long as you are staring with at least 1% battery, you can make it to the San Bernardino Supercharger. :)

This was from Mountain High...

20190226_000207384_iOS2.jpg

so no chains needed? i'm still waiting on my order but planned to take the kiddos to wrightwood once i get my car. thanks for the info

Always carry chains during winter. You never know with the weather, and you don't want to be that person who starts a traffic jam. Right now it's clear, but if it rains this week it may require chains. SoCal CalTrans is very strict with their rules.

Mt. High/Wrightwood is easier to get up to and they can clean up the roads much easier.

Big Bear on the other hand is a total mess when a storm gets hit. You're looking at least 2-3 days of clean up if the weather permits, one way up, and most likely R3 during that time with stop and go traffic. Helpful website for bigbear road conditions is Socalmountains.com

Without chains, I've been able to make it from North San Diego to Big Bear and back on a single charge with 60 miles remaining on a LR RWD. It was still doable with chains, but I had to SC ~60 miles of range to get home with 30 miles left. Although I have to admit, I was a bit anxious to see consumption of >500Wh/mi for a short stretch from the combination of chains and climbing the mountain.

• Informative
Reactions: jaydiculous
What is the rule on AWD cars also requiring chains? for M3 Dual Motor, and MX
Quick background
R1 no chains required
R2 all vehicles must carry chains, 2WD vehicles must use chains; for those vehicles with 4 wheel drive AND snow rated tires chains are optional. (if you have 4wd/awd but obviously summer tires they can force you to 'chain up')
R3 ALL vehicles must use chains, no exceptions

During R3 conditions you generally do not want to be on the roads except in an urgent situation; in R3 conditions the authorities can close the highway at any time and with short notice.

Source: have owned trucks for 20 years and ski big bear every year.

Technically AWD is not sufficient to get through the checkpoints during R2 conditions if your tires are not of the right type. Your tires need the snowflake or MS/M+S symbol on them indicating they are snow rated.

1 Snow-tread Tires: The California Vehicle Code, Section 558 defines a snow-tread tire as follows, "A 'Snow-tread tire' is a tire which has a relatively deep and aggressive tread pattern compared with conventional passenger tread pattern". Snow-tread tires can be identified by examining the sidewall of the tire where the letters MS, M/S, M+S or the words MUD AND SNOW have been stamped into the sidewall.

I have a diesel powered truck with AT M+S tires that I drive to the mountains and feel confident in both R2 and R3 conditions, but if you're in a Tesla the charging infrastructure in town is basically non existent if they shut down the roads.

(I usually go hwy 38 across onyx summit @8400 feet which is usually the snowiest and least traveled route and is the one most likely to close due to excessive snow (3' is not unheard of)

Back to OP im glad it worked out... I would love to go up their in my P3D- but am more worried about being stranded in big bear for a day or two if roads close (it has happened before)
(also power was out two weeks ago during the last big snow storm)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Y_NOT
Technically AWD is not sufficient to get through the checkpoints during R2 conditions if your tires are not of the right type. Your tires need the snowflake or MS/M+S symbol on them indicating they are snow rated.

Just to add, both the Michelin Primacy MXM4 and Continental ProContact are rated M+S (as are most all weather tires) - I feel M+S designation is a fairly low bar but that is a discussion for a different forum.

While this should be obvious, do not take summer tires into snow (or cold weather). Not only will the grip be terrible, the cold weather could permanently damage the tires. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=273

Reactions: ambudriver03
@TT97 one time I was heading up and they forced a guy in lifted F350 to put on his chains.

He protested that he had AT M+S Tires (he had Toyo Open Country tires)

And the CHP officer looked at him and said "have you seen the tread on your tires lately"

(TLDR if your tread is gone they might not let you up even if you have a 4x4)

(also have seen numerous vehicles lose control because they have bald tires... I'm looking at you Subaru WRX...)

Reactions: TT97